7848Re: [Weta-Trimarans] Standing rigging, shrouds, side stays

  • wetabix0947
      David -
      Yes, the leeward shroud is always loose, sometimes very loose. This is basically a measure of how much flex there is in the platform. Shortening the side stays will increase weather helm a bit unless you also shorten the forestay by tightening the black string lanyard. The shrouds only 'snao' in certain sea states and wind conditions. If the boat is being pressed hard over by the wind the amas won't move but if you have balanced the boat with body weight as you might in relatively light winds the leeward ama will go up and down with the waves. This can cause the shrouds to 'snap'  (I don't mean 'break', just jerk straight). I believe this is normal and ought not to break anything but when sailing any boat offshore you try and minimize the stresses on it if you can.

    • Show all 58 messages in this topic