      From: "Tom Kirkman tomkirkman1@... [Weta-Trimarans]" <Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com>
      To: "Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com" <Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [Weta-Trimarans] Standing rigging, shrouds, side stays

      What do you use to hold the bolt head, inside the ama, so that it doesn't spin when you tighten the lock nut down on the protruding portion?

      Mine won't need this currently, but you never know what the future holds.

      On Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:31 PM, "Robert Shirley wetasocal@... [Weta-Trimarans]" <Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I emailed Roger Kitchen and he sent me photos and directions.  I recommend you do the same thing, but I will try to describe the process anyway.

      I was able to unscrew my old bolts and the nuts fell off.  But if the nuts spin one will have to hack off the old bolt heads and punch the bolt through.

      Basically, one gets much longer bolts, say 3.5 or 4 inches. I used my skill saw with a steel cutting blade to square off the end of the bolt and below that narrow it significantly. Be sure you already have the nut on the bolt so it will clean up the threads when you back it off.  Don't use the nylon locking nut you intend to finish the project with because the nylon can be damaged. Use a regular nut for cleaning up the threads.  I then used fishing line that i put down through the hole and snagged with an unbent wire coat hangar through the transom port.  Actually, I had to tape the coat hanger to a yard stick to make it long enough.

      Then one ties the fishing line around the narrowed part at the end of the bolt in such a manner that it will pull the bolt (w/ washer) through the hole.  It is tricky getting the fishing line tied just right so the bolt will come up through the hole.  I ended up using some tape to get it just right.

      Once one has the bolt up through the hole tighten a nylon locking nut down using pliers to hold the squared off bolt end.  Once it is good and tight, hack off the bolt close to the nut, file and smooth.

      So one ends up with the bolt upside down with the head down inside the boat and the nut on top.

      It took me about 45 minutes to replace the 1st bolt, about 2 hrs to replace the 2nd one (grumble, grumble, grumble....) but I finally surmounted the learning curve and was able to replace the 3rd and 4th bolts in about 15 minutes.

      Good luck,

      Bob Shirley
      Weta #147, Empress
      Ventura CA.