7832Re: [Weta-Trimarans] Standing rigging, shrouds, side stays

  • Rob S (iPhone)
      As a former dealer - I can throw in my 2¢

      Of the 10 boats under my care (!) we have had three drop the rig, one was because of the failure of the knot on the strop on the bow, and the second and third were pad eye failures. Remarkably - no significant damage on any of the events.

      Observations - always check the condition of the strop on the bow each time you sail.

      If the pad eyes look discoloured - especially on the older welded type it may be time to consider changing them. This can range from 20 minutes to many hours to do, as there are at least four configurations, and Murphy had a hand in some of the assembly process.

      If you have the quick release adjuster - surgically remove the quick release pin, replace it with a clevis pin and ring. It does not need to be quick release!!  Use plenty of tape to keep it standing up - that will eliminate kinking during rig stepping.

      Stays - again a few slightly different materials and setup above the years. As already mentioned below - they do not last forever, and 4 years is probably a reasonable life expectancy. The replacement cost vs potential damage / risk of losing the rig (at the worst possible time) makes this a no-brainer.
      As for sources - either Weta, or any rigging shop. As for class legality - I regard these as safety equipment, and if anyone wants to protest me on shroud diameter, then so be it!!

      I have gone one step up with my shrouds - a larger diameter (3mm- I think), I have a t handle (1m up from the ama), and I have replaced the eye loop with a forged fitting - and added a new adjuster. This setup adds a couple of ounces, but is way more secure and strong.

      Avoid kinks in your stays - helpful assistance often results in kinks - not good. The thicker SS shrouds are much less likely to kink. Keep a close eye on the swayed ends for any sign of stray wires escaping, or corrosion.

      Even if you are happy with your current stays - get a spare set now!

      And finally - replace ALL the stainless screws on the mast, the tiller, the cleats, (not the rudder mounting unless really corroded  - too difficult!), as the material in some of the original boats was not good. Be gentle too- the mast cleat screws are directly into the carbon - no power tools please !!

      And replace the strop on the bow annually - and if you have the two stainless rings arrangement - get rid if it and replace with a strop !!!

      Much text for 2¢ !!

      Robert
      633 DXB

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 23 Aug 2014, at 01:32, "Robert Shirley wetasocal@... [Weta-Trimarans]" <Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The original pad-eye was welded.  Newer Wetas, i.e. PPS boats #738 & 739 come with forged, stainless steel padeyes (Weta calls them saddles). IIRC, I went with the RF 1054 from West Marine or Beacon Marine.

      Bob Shirley
      Weta #147, Empress
      Ventura CA.