7420Re: Furling Jib v Normal Jib

  • yottieguy
    Jul 3, 2014
      I rarely rig my boat until it's in the water and tied up to a pontoon - unless the wind is very light. I've had broken battens and sail damage from a gust which hit while it was sitting on the trolley for 5 minutes.

      If you use a Carbine Hook there's no need to undo the top (loop) knot of the cargo/truckers hitch. After unhooking the jib you feed the halyard tail from the cleat roller through the hook and then back to the cleat  jaws - and retain your fillings in the process :-) The loop knot only needs to be about 30cm/1ft above the cleat when the sail is hoisted - I suggest marking the halyard before tying the loop.

      In your situation, I'd suggest rigging the jib in the sheltered area but don't hoist it fully - tie it to the deck with a bungee/rope loop. Then get the main ready so the head is just in the mast track with the halyard attached and the rest of the sail rolled in the cockpit. Hoist the sails when in/near the water.

      If you attach the jib sheet to the clew with soft shackles, don't attach them until the last minute and don't hook up the main until you're away from the ramp in clear water. This minimises the time spent on the ramp and the chance of developing a Weta land-yacht! Detach the clew of the sails as soon as you return for similar reasons.

      Paul #325

      ---In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <wetabix0947@...> wrote :

      I agree with all that and would add that all six halyard ends should have some sort of weight on them even if it is only a large knot. They are then less likely to go up the mast if you let go. It also helps if you rig the jib in the calm of the yacht club palm grove (as in the various videos) rather than waist deep in water rocked by the wash of the local jetski fraternity.  I am reluctant to push the boat through the slipway gate (12 ft wide) with the jib up but I may change my mind. I discovered yesterday that I had forgotten how to tie a cargo hitch and at the end of the day with cold wet hands had to use my teeth to undo it. There has to be a better way (this morning a filling fell out but that may have been a coincidence). The good news is that I have managed to get the furler an inch and a half lower and have ironed the creases out of much of the luff. I am wondering if a length of that special wire/rope that they use for top-down spinnaker furlers might have a use as a 'furling foil' in place of the wire forestay.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic