6511RE: Stress Cracks in Alma supports

  • tim.corcoran@rocketmail.com
    Feb 18, 2014
      In looking at the photos, are you referring to the cracks in the plastic elbow that covers the place where the aka meets the ama supports? That is, are the cracks in the carbon fiber tubes or just in that transition elbow?  The only cracks I saw in your photos were in the elbow, but I might be wrong. It they are just in the elbow, there is nothing to worry about.  I talked that issue over with Chris Kitchen at the West Coast championships last Sept., I have a few of those too.  He said that elbow isn't structural, it just covers the transition. The real joint is underneath, not visible. Since the plastic is a different material than the carbon fiber, its thermal expansion and flex properties are different, which makes cracks a likely outcome.

      Tim  #374  Shaheen
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic