Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

60Re: [Weta-Trimarans] no. 147 gets wet for the second time......

Expand Messages
  • Greg Mitchell
    Aug 8, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Bob - and all weta owners

      the furling line will jump off the drum with the existing lead setup. You
      need to put a small shackle on the existing eye to raise the angle the line
      gets into the furler. Once you do that - problem solved.

      Docking - I put a 15' dockline on the front cross arm, and tie it into the
      boat with a slipknot. Allows you to walk over and step off the boat at the

      I too have the water coming up the board - I think that turbulence will
      restrict top speeds. I'm thinking of putting some goop at the hull opening
      that will tightly fit to the board.


      On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Robert Shirley <wetasocal@...> wrote:

      > #147, The Empress, went for her maiden voyage out of her home port,
      > Ventura, CA today. Sorry, no pix. According to iwindsurf.com the wind was
      > blowing 16-18 knots. According to NOAA the seas were about 3.3' at 6
      > seconds. The Empress loved the conditions and frolicked using all sails. It
      > is amazing how much "ground" one can cover so quickly in these little hot
      > rods.
      > It is a good thing the water temp is almost 70 because there was water
      > flying. I went upwind about 5 miles along the beach. Then closed reached
      > offshore about 6 or 7 miles. Then broad reached with the Gennaker surfing
      > the whitecaps back in to Ventura. Fast and exciting sailing.
      > As with any new boat I have a few bugs to work out. The gennaker jammed
      > with the sail out. The furling line had jumped off the drum and jammed
      > underneath it. I gybed twice and carried the gennaker into the harbor (no
      > choice) and beached at Mother's beach. I dropped the Gennaker halyard and
      > worked on it for a while and was finally able to fix the problem.
      > Also, at the high speeds I was getting a fair amount of water coming up the
      > back of the daggerboard case and into the cockpit. It wasn't a problem
      > because it just flowed out the open transom and I never had a lot of water
      > in the boat. I did have enough to keep washing my bowline out and eventually
      > lost my slaps. Don't leave anything loose in these boats!
      > Finally, docking the boat in the high winds at the end of the sail proved
      > to be a real challenge. Two powerboaters told me later that I provided them
      > with a lot of entertainment. Ouch, I don't want to be that guy at the ramp.
      > But they thought I was hot dogging it and showing off. They thought that
      > because I was unable to dock the boat without somebody there to catch me.
      > Finally, after 7 or 8 attempts, a kid took pity on me and caught me.
      > The docks at the ramp are pretty tight together and at about 60 degrees to
      > the wind. So, I would come screaming in down wind on port tack, punch it up
      > into irons, and then try to reach for the dock off the starboard side of the
      > boat, always coming within a few inches, but unable to get over to the float
      > and grab it quick enough. I would then sheet back in, beat out on starboard
      > before drifting down on the next dock and try again. One of the times I
      > evidently, swung the starboard transom into the dock because I now have a
      > gelcoat repair to do on the outside edge of it.
      > I am gonna practice on a different ramp/dock that is more sheltered next
      > time.
      > Anyway, my WETA provided me with tons of fun this afternoon. I hope we can
      > get enough in SoCal evntually to get together and race.
      > Tired, sore, and grinning,
      > Bob

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic