5860Re: [Weta-Trimarans] Tiller Extension Fitting Screw Failure

  • Robert Spencer
    Oct 31, 2013
      Mentioned before here, but it is a really good idea to replace all the set screws every couple of years. The stainless steel discussion went on for a while, but the outcome is  the same - these screws do corrode. It will cost maybe $10 to replace them all - mast, tiller, and deck cleats, but is well worth it!

      Sent from iPhone

      On 31 Oct 2013, at 13:57, <pewit@...> wrote:

      Last time I was out in my Weta, I noticed the tiller felt loose and realised that one of the screws that holds the tiller extension to the tiller stock had sheared off.

      I couldn't reach the sheared off section of the screw left inside the tiller tube so I had to carefully drill it out.

      However, I suggest other owners should check the screws on the extension joint regularly as normally they're under the snap-on cover and you wouldn't notice if they're corroded, especially if it failed below the surface of the tiller stock,like mine.

      I also note that the Ronstan RF3133 Urethane universal joint should have the RF3136 Round tiller adapter for RF3133 - but my Weta #325 doesn't have one which may have contributed to the screw failure as the fitting is unsupported where it meets the tiller stock.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic