5859RE: Tiller Extension Fitting Screw Failure

  • tim.corcoran@rocketmail.com
    Oct 31, 2013

      I've heard others mention the same screw failure.  Clearly something to keep an eye on.

      Your point about using the  round tiller adapter is a very good one.  One can make a fix for this using epoxy + filler material to thicken it to peanut-butter consistency.  FIller can be West Systems (#406 is a good choice) or sawdust or diatomaceous earth (used in swimming pool filters among other things). Cookie crumbs are probably not as good an option. Spread this thick goo into the space between the tiller adapter and the tiller, let it harden. Viola, adapted adapter. Or, go buy the other part.

      Tim #374

      ---In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Last time I was out in my Weta, I noticed the tiller felt loose and realised that one of the screws that holds the tiller extension to the tiller stock had sheared off.

      I couldn't reach the sheared off section of the screw left inside the tiller tube so I had to carefully drill it out.

      However, I suggest other owners should check the screws on the extension joint regularly as normally they're under the snap-on cover and you wouldn't notice if they're corroded, especially if it failed below the surface of the tiller stock,like mine.

      I also note that the Ronstan RF3133 Urethane universal joint should have the RF3136 Round tiller adapter for RF3133 - but my Weta #325 doesn't have one which may have contributed to the screw failure as the fitting is unsupported where it meets the tiller stock.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic