5584RE: Re: [Weta-Trimarans] Questions

  • wieringats
    Sep 3, 2013
       Geoffrey, what I did with mine is slide the top of the sail down the stay a couple of feet then tied a series of figure 8 knots to "shorten" the stay.  After the first sail I had too take one or two back out too get it the right length but it works.
      Tim, Michigan

      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I hope this is the right "thread" for a couple of questions I have.

      New KZ Furler

      I have spoken with Ronstan re the "flying leads" that come with my lovely new genny and the continuous KZ furler.

      Now "Top down furling" is the new catch cry that applies to our new technology and it has me a bit flummoxed!

      Ronstan say that the genny must be tied top and bottom to their rotating drum and swivel to stop the fore stay from twisting / untwisting. But the length of my genny's luff is shorter than the stay(?) that runs the length of the genny's luff by about 6 inches top and bottom. I understand the idea of these top down furlers is to stop the stay from twisting when furling. The longer length of stay compared with length of sail luff leaves me wondering if "bug*** it" is the way to go! The new tech sheet "Upgrading your prod from the existing Harken furler to the KZ Continuous furler" is excellent but misses clarifying what one does with these flying genny leads and where and how they are tied.

      Would I be right to just tie the flying leads that come with the genny with a reef knot to the swivel and drum pins, forget about the longer stay, and hope for the best?

      Yes, I know I should take the bigger picture and forget about details....

      Raising the Mast

      What strengthening exercises / tips are recommended for helping raise and lower the mast when not on the level and on a windy day at the end of a days sailing?

      I tried raising the mast single handed for the first time and nearly brained / electrocuted myself and damaged my neighbours new car in one go. Luckily my wife was nearby to help me lower the mast...but she was not impressed with the profanities.

      Before I try this again do I go to the gym for 3 months and miss the Spring sailing season or is there a technique or something I am missing to stepping the mast?

      Looking forward to the new sailing season with some angst....

      Geoff