5583RE: Questions

  • weta4life
    Sep 3, 2013
      Hi Geoff,

      I am a bit confused about what you mean by the forestay twisting if you are talking about the 12.9 gennaker or the standard gennaker they both furl on their luff and so the forestay has nothing to do with how they furl. Did you buy a top down furler to use with your 12.9 gennaker? We tried that out but found that we preferred to keep it simple and furl around the luff so we are just using standard furlers not top down furlers.

      By the genny leads and stay I think perhaps you mean the luff tension line? That is just to adjust the tension of the luff so you can tie it your preference. I hope this helps, send me a photo miranda@... if I'm not getting it

      Tips for raising and lowering the mast This is probably just a question of technique, as the mast is not heavy. Sometimes it just a bit of balance. If I can get a laser mast with sail on up in 20 knots, you can do it with the Weta mast!
      My Tips
      - Get your hand positioning right - hold it as high up as possible, so that you aren't dealing with more leverage than you have to.
      - Do it steps, get it upright and rest it on the ground, then on the moose head of the beach trolley, then on the boat and vice versa for getting it down.
      - Point the boat downwind or downhill (or both!)

      Are you from Australia? If you are come to the Jervis Bay regatta and Chris can show you in person.

      Cheers,

      Miranda

      --- In weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <geoffclift@...> wrote:

      I hope this is the right "thread" for a couple of questions I have.

      New KZ Furler

      I have spoken with Ronstan re the "flying leads" that come with my lovely new genny and the continuous KZ furler.

      Now "Top down furling" is the new catch cry that applies to our new technology and it has me a bit flummoxed!

      Ronstan say that the genny must be tied top and bottom to their rotating drum and swivel to stop the fore stay from twisting / untwisting. But the length of my genny's luff is shorter than the stay(?) that runs the length of the genny's luff by about 6 inches top and bottom. I understand the idea of these top down furlers is to stop the stay from twisting when furling. The longer length of stay compared with length of sail luff leaves me wondering if "bug*** it" is the way to go! The new tech sheet "Upgrading your prod from the existing Harken furler to the KZ Continuous furler" is excellent but misses clarifying what one does with these flying genny leads and where and how they are tied.

      Would I be right to just tie the flying leads that come with the genny with a reef knot to the swivel and drum pins, forget about the longer stay, and hope for the best?

      Yes, I know I should take the bigger picture and forget about details....

      Raising the Mast

      What strengthening exercises / tips are recommended for helping raise and lower the mast when not on the level and on a windy day at the end of a days sailing?

      I tried raising the mast single handed for the first time and nearly brained / electrocuted myself and damaged my neighbours new car in one go. Luckily my wife was nearby to help me lower the mast...but she was not impressed with the profanities.

      Before I try this again do I go to the gym for 3 months and miss the Spring sailing season or is there a technique or something I am missing to stepping the mast?

      Looking forward to the new sailing season with some angst....

      Geoff