5312Re: Questions

  • sail.plane
    Jul 1, 2013
      Thanks for the advice. Although Loctite has worked fine for a month now, I will replace the strop soon and do figure eight knots.
      Just as the OP said, my boat came with simple knots, we didn't even know it was a problem until the strop let go while sailing. Luckily, not too much wind and the mast was held by the gennaker halyard. Simple overhand knots slowly slip.

      To the OP Item 3: regarding the mast base, I forgot to clarify that in my case, the filing of the slot was not a big one, just 2-3 mm from the surface, at 45deg angle, that was enough.

      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Vincent" <gapagod@...> wrote:

      > Loctite does not do well on plastics. It tends to soften and dissolve them. Also, Loctite works anaerobically, in that it only cures in the absence of oxygen such as between a nut and a bolt. Perhaps try a dab of epoxy or caulking.

      > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "sail.plane" <sail.plane@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Tim,
      > >
      > > had same problems with mine #676
      > >
      > > 1. figure 8 knot as said. I couldnt undo mine although it was slipping, so for the moment I put loctite on the overhand knot and is not slipping any more, but I'm watching everytime. I'll do a figure 8 when I get a new strop, will have to cut it to remove it.
      > > (wonder if the loctite could affect the material? not until now. somebody knows?)
      > >
      > > 3. mast step: I had to file the slot and now its very easy to get it out. I only had to file one edge of the slot at 45deg
      > >
      > > cheers
      > >
      > > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "wieringats" <timw@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > 1. What kind of knot is best for the forstay "bridle". Mine came with a simple overhand knot that slipped out. Amazing how strong that prod is!
      > > >
      > > > 2. I am missing an oRing on one of the inspection ports on the back of the float. Any idea where to get a replacement?
      > > >
      > > > 3. My mast step fits Very snug over the metal bar on the mast step, I have to work to get it off when done sailing. Any reason not to sand / file the slot on the mast slightly wider?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your collective wisdom.
      > > >
      > > > Tim - Michigan

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic