4127Re: Rocking the Boat

  • George
    Dec 1, 2012
      Not your principle point, but a 'simple rope traveller' would not eliminate all discussion about alternative steering arrangements - it doesn't work, I've tried it. The hull is too narrow and you can't get it far enough towards the back of the boat to allow full steering angle, which means you have to shorten the tiller which means that when sitting on the rail the extension does not come naturally to hand etc. Now a metal traveller like.... err.....almost any wooden day sailer from the 1930s might be worth a try but the geometry is still tight,

      rgds

      George Morris
      British Weta Class Association
      weta.org.uk

      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "sailstarz" <westonimages@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking at ways to develop this class I have joined to both strengthen the ranks as well as develop the boat outside of the manufacturer's auspices. Actually, I have only bought a boat, but have not joined a class per se. Coming from the Laser class, I can remember the development as i was one of the first to sail the boat. Yes, I'm that old. We had so many boats come to the party we had to break it down into Districts. I was the first District 13 Secretary at age 17 and composed a newsletter by hand. imagine. But before I stray and pull out the rum, let me get the point.
      >
      > A class will have a hard time growing when the growth of the class is pushed only by dealers, regulated by manufacturers, and wait, better get a glass of rum - I forget the third, but it needs to be promoted from within, by the class. Presently, there is not much of a class here in the US, but I'm throwing it out there as it might be something you guys want to consider, since you are here. This creates more regatta opportunities, more effective boat development, and more work for some poor Class Secretary. Right now, there are I think only two Districts, East and West.
      >
      > I know Dave Berntsen has long been the catalyst as the dealer for the West, I have no idea what goes on in the East. I'm going to guess it is dealer promoted. Keep promoting guys. But let's get the Class ball rolling.
      >
      > Rule wise, you won't get Weta the manufacturer to agree to changes unless you come at them as a group, as a Class, in a classy manner. The OD rule changes should be voted upon by class members. The Laser class would not have survived if there were no rule progressions. For example, the addition of even a simple rope traveller similar to the Laser would eliminate all talk about twin tillers (dude, the other stick flops in the water, forget it). Adjustable forestay from the cockpit, lots of little things that are class illegal that would boost not only the performance but enjoyment of the boat.
      >
      > There would also be more regattas slated around the class members desires. The downside might be dues in the future to sustain the work if it all works and the class grows, but for now, I think the dues would be enthusiasm. Is anybody in the same boat with me? All we need to do is elect three people - One Big Kahuna Class President, One West Coast Secretary, and wait, there was a third one...oh yeah, an East Coast Secretary. Nominate. Vote.The one condition would be that they have no commercial interest in the class.
      >
      > Get on Board! Vote Yes on the idea. No, life is good as it is. Nominate.
      >
      > I nominate Gordon Lyon for Weta Class President, Bruce Fleming for West Coast Secretary.
      >
      > GotaGetaWeta,
      >
      > Jonathan Weston

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic