4043Re: [Weta-Trimarans] Re: Weta life is good \\ Santa Barbara Channel P2P racing

  • Robert Shirley
    Nov 9, 2012
      There are races that exist already that have allowed beach cats in the past. I am confident that we could enter Wetas, or lobby the RCs to allow Wetas if we get on it early enough.

      The Hardway Race is a race from Santa Barbara to Ventura leaving Anacapa to port.  It, typically, is in mid-May.  If we decide to focus on this race, I suggest a Weta course in which we leave Platform Gilda to port, rather than Anacapa.

      The Milt Ingram Race has also hosted beach cats in the past. It is about a 45 mile race that starts and finishes in Ventura and leaves both Gilda and Anacapa to port. It is usually in Mid July (the weekend after HSR this year).

      The Tri-point has had a beach cat class the last few years. It also starts and finishes in Ventura, is probably around 35 miles, and leaves Platform Gina and Anacapa to starboard. It is usually in mid-August.

      We also are welcome to do the Frenchy's Rum Run in late June. It is a race of about 30 miles from Ventura out to a buoy very close to Frenchy's cove on Anacapa and back.

      Or, we can create our own Weta regatta.  We could race from Santa Barbara to Ventura. Or, I think a really good Weta course would be start/finish in Ventura and sail around Gilda leaving it to starboard.  That would be about 8 miles dead upwind and then, of course, 8 miles back downwind to the finish.

      My votes are for Frenchy's, Tri-point, and/or our own 'round Gilda race.

      That has to be at leats $0.02 worth.

      BS

      Bob Shirley
      Weta #147, Ventura CA.
      805 850 8661

      If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?