3656Re: Ronstan Load-Sensitive Ratchet Blocks

  • George
    Jul 1, 2012
      Thanks for that although I had, of course, already read it. The Scottish climate has its limitations but it does provide a free fresh water wash for all one's deck hardware about every ten minutes. Nevertheless I have soaked them in silicone as well. My blocks are almost new so perhaps the pawls will wear in with use; in the meantime the emphasis seems to be on holding power rather than on a seamless release. In the meantime I have managed to manoeuvre the boat so that one float and the hull passed on opposite sides of a marker post. I was going quite slowly (there was no wind but quite a lot of tide) but the carbon aka has cracked quite badly. Fortunately we have a local mast builder who can do carbon repairs. Poor Wetabix - she is getting quite a bashing this season. Now that the boat only has two hulls I have done a bit of work on the top of the mast, moving the halyard lock so that the sail is about two inches higher - two seconds an hour is not to be sneezed at, legal or not, and it may enable me to see approaching obstacles in time to avoid them. And now, back to watching the Americas Cup and the Volvo on the telly...

      Rgds

      George