3243Re: Introduction and Mainsail Question

  • Jaffar
    Mar 2, 2012
      RD,

      I could produce a short list of areas where a follow-up Weta model could improve on the original, but the main per se would not be on it, except for its small area. The material is good and should last a long time if you handle it properly and avoid creases. Changes are not permitted as the current Class rules require all sails to be supplied by Weta Marine.

      As I understand the boat will be sailed double-handled with your wife, you should know that the Weta is still a 14 footer and is underpowered in light air, particularly downwind. In stronger air, however, it is a blast.

      I disagree a bit with Richard on getting used to the lack of controls for the main as I miss them racing upwind in gusty conditions where the rig does not automatically depower the top of the main in a sudden gust.

      The boat is above all a terrific and easy fun boat and the simplified rig and the boomless main fit perfectly there.

      Jaffar