2782Tacking in light air

  • Jaffar
    Oct 2 12:34 PM

      * «You lose so much in the tacks that it does not always pay to
      chase the shifts»
      Correct. In fact in light air you do not chase the shifts but chase the
      puffs instead. In other words, go where the wind is and keep the boat
      sailing as fast as possible even if this makes you sail a longer
      distance. The boat takes so long to reach its max speed after a tack
      that you want to minimize these painfully long acceleration periods
      (when you should be painfully still and low with your weight as near the
      mast as possible).

      One caveat though. And this is when you are racing handicap against
      catamarans. The cats are sailing disasters when tacking in these
      conditions (and some others!). So in that case you may get some
      advantage over cats by tacking more often than them!

      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "George" <wetabix0947@...> wrote:
      > Bruce,
      > Good and relevant write-up. I would like to pick-up on your
      embarrassment at winning by a large margin. This happens in yacht
      racing, unfortunately. People who are good at racing often beat those
      who are less good by large margins and reasonably good racers will beat
      newbies by very large margins. It takes at least two seasons even to
      become 'intermediate'. The Weta is particularly difficult to sail well
      in light and shifty wind. Some people just seem to attract pressure and
      get the right side of all the shifts and others don't.You lose so much
      in the tacks that it does not always pay to chase the shifts. Only
      experience will give the right answers. Most Weta fleets are still small
      and have a mixture of experience including, I would guess, some people
      with very little experience of racing. A multihull has less feel than a
      monohull and the Weta's groove is quite narrow and it is horribly
      underpowered in light winds. Today I was sailing in the rain and the
      tell-tales were stuck to the sail; nightmare! I was probably sailing far
      too low (upwind) but at least I have a windvane and can get a rough
      estimate of where I ought to be pointing - most people don't.
      > In the recent Americas Cup World Series it was not unusual for some of
      the boats to be three minutes behind in a twenty minute race and these
      were absolutely top notch crews. You are therefore right to recognise
      that while we are in the fleet-building phase of the Weta's life that we
      have to look after and encourage the weaker bretheren. Coaching helps
      but my experience is that the good sailors don't know how they do it. As
      a start, can anybody tell me how to get the screacher furled properly
      when the last downwind leg before the furl is a tight reach and you are
      fighting for mark room? Not a problem if the other boat is a Weta but if
      the other boat has a dropping spinnaker you have to let him go (assuming
      that there is room to leeward) while you get the sail furled. And as for
      downwind angles........!