2399Re: Windward Capsize?

  • jeremygoslin
    Jul 1, 2011
      Of all the boats I have sailed the Weta has by far the most sedate and civilised capsize of any. Most downwind monohull dinghy capsizes are a yelped "sh.." followed by the world suddenly turning grey (or blue if you are lucky to live somewhere nice).

      My four (amazingly low) Weta capsizes have been leisurely trips over the ama, you can see it happening in slow motion as the bow does it's submarine act (dive dive) and if you are unlucky the boat will go beyond the point of no return and go arse about tit in a rather gentleman like manner. Plenty of time to reflect on your mistake, the fact that you have lost the race, and that you fancied a swim anyway.

      Getting trapped under the tramps (under the hull is a no problem, there is a big breathing space under there) by a buoyancy aid is not something you have to stay awake at night worrying about.

      If you want the excitement of capsizes then go windsurfing, they are highly frequent (most tacks end in one), so fast you are in the drink before you were even aware of making a mistake, and you often get your harness twisted over the lines such that you wake up trapped under a rapidly sinking sail.