Pulling together some Westchester events - Thanksgiving Action Nov. 23 or 24?

  • Dunleamark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4 7:40 AM
    I would like to pull together a regular meeting in Westchester for our ES2 / single payer / DSS work.
    I would like to suggest setting a monthly date to meet in Westchester so that it easier to plan. We could either do the ES2 meeting and the single payer meetings together, one after another, or at different times during the day to make travel easier. At this point, I plan to staff our Westchester work.
    Hunger Action is planning to do more work in Westchester in the coming year monitoring and improving the performance of the local DSS offices, starting with implementation of the various new jobs programs. We would like to set up a subcommittee to work on that.
    Also, I would like Westchester to participate in our Thanksgiving Action Against Hunger. The target date is Monday, Nov. 23rd - the Monday before Thanksgiving. If needed, we could do the Westchester event on Tuesday so that I could attend (we have events planned for Albany and NYC on Monday). The theme is Ending Childhood Hunger by 2015, a pledge by President Obama that we want to help him keep. Our one page flyer is attached and copied below.
    Also, we have a Faith and Hunger Network meeting coming up in Westchester on Dec. 6. Details below.
    518 434-7371 xt 1#
    Sunday, December 6th from 1 to 4 PM.
    The event will be at Memorial Community Church of West Harrison,  126 Gainsborg Avenue E, West Harrison, NY 10604.
    Topics will include foreign aid reform by Bread for the World; Ending Childhood Hunger by 2015 (including child nutrition program reauthorization); and health care as a human right.

    End Childhood Hunger in America by 2015

    President Obama has pledged to end childhood hunger in America by 2015. An estimated 12.4 million children – including 660,000 in NYS - lived in food insecure households in 2007.

    Ending childhood hunger begins with recognizing a right to healthy, nutritious food inAmerica . Hunger cannot be eradicated without addressing the broader issues of poverty and economic insecurity; security for children is contingent on security for families.

    Nutrition programs alone can’t carry the whole burden of government supports to end childhood hunger when employment falls short. There must be decent family incomes on which to build. The nation must bolster incomes and lift the incomes of as many families as possible well above the poverty line.

    President Obama’s “Tackling Domestic Hunger” analysis made the important point that “The most effective way to eliminate childhood hunger and reduce hunger among adults is through a broad expansion of economic opportunity.” To do that, he outlined a range of initiatives “to reduce and alleviate poverty, including providing permanent tax relief for working families, expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit, raising the minimum wage, and providing affordable, accessible health insurance.”

    Below is an 8-point agenda to end child hood hunger, drawing from the proposals by the Food Research Action Center and World Hunger Year.

    • Make Access to a Healthy Diet a Human Right. Strengthen the SNAP/Food Stamp Program by expanding eligibility, increasing benefits so that recipients can afford a minimally adequate diet, improving the way benefits are calculated and reducing red tape. The US is the only country to have voted against the 2003 UN Resolution in favor of a right to food.
    • Strengthen federal child nutrition programs (WIC, School and Summer Meals) so that more children participate and receive sufficient, nutritious food. Create universal school breakfast and lunch programs. Enact stronger nutritional standards. These programs are up for reauthorization in Congress.
    • End Food Deserts: Make sure all families have convenient access to reasonably priced, healthy food. Food Deserts are geographic areas where there are no or very few places to purchase nutritious food. Support the development of grocery stores and food co-ops in low-income neighborhoods. Promote food buying clubs, farmers markets, community gardens, CSAs, backyard and rooftop gardens, and schoolyard gardens.
    • Raise the incomes of the lowest-income families. Increase refundable tax credits for families (child tax credit), increasing the minimum wage (e.g., $10 an hour) and other income supports (EITC). The US needs to join other industrial countries in providing universal health care and child care.
    • Guarantee an Adequate Income for All Children. Most countries have a children’s allowance. The TANF program should focus on ending childhood poverty and raising minimum benefits.
    • Create Living Wage Jobs. We need to create millions of high paying jobs in fields where poor people can compete. We must fairly compensate childcare workers, nannies, teacher's aids, Head Start personnel, nurses' aids, home healthcare and nursing home workers. Make it easier to join a union.
    • Create a Peace Dividend, making significant cuts to the military budget to provide funding for hunger, affordable housing, living wage job creation, and education. As President Eisenhower warned the country in 1953, “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.”
    • Reform the Farm Bill to promote nutrition, not cheap calories and corporate subsidies. Subsidize fruits and vegetables.

    Hunger Action Network of NYSwww.hungeractionnys.org – 212 741-8192 or 518 434-7371