Hunger Action annual meeting in Albany Monday Sept. 19

  • Dunleamark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2011
      The Hunger Action Network annual membership meeting will be held in Albany this year on Monday Sept. 19 from 9:30 to 4 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 85 Chestnut St.

      If enough people from Westchester are interested, we could help coordinate / pay for a van or rental care.

      A flyer (with registration form) for the annual membership meeting is atttached. The registration form is also included at the end of the agenda below. You can also contact dcatozzi@... or 518 434-7371 xt 3#

      We are organizing a van from NYC. Contact dunleamark@...

      The theme for this year's annual meeting will be addressing the growing problem of income inequality. The richest 1% of New Yorkers now receive 35% of the state's income - the worst situation since 1927, right before the Great Depression.

      There will be workshops around the 2012 Farm Bill; 2012 state legislative session; Medicare for All / universal health care; revenue strategies; federal budget.

      We want to start the meeting off with short statements from individuals who have been personally negatively impacted by the recession. Please let us know if you have anyone who would be willing to speak.

      2012 is also the 30th anniversary of the founding of Hunger Action Network. We plan to use 2012 as an opportunity to strengthen the organization, building our membership at the local and state levels, and refocusing the public's attention on the pervasive and growing problem of hunger. We are discussing holding a series of Hunger Summit around the state to discuss how hunger has changed over the last 30 years and what still needs to be done. We also want to applaud the tremendous work of so many hunger volunteers and staff over the years.

      Monday, Sept. 19th *** 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
      Westminster Presbyterian Church,
      85 Chestnut Street, Albany, NY

       9:30     Registration

        10:00   Welcome – Dennis Hanratty and Mark Dunlea

      10:20    The Impact of the Recession – Personal Stories (need to find 3 to 6 people from different parts of the state)

      10:40    Scott Trees – The Problem of Growing Economic Inequality

      11:00    Questions and Answers

      11:20    Developing a Hunger Action Agenda for 2012 (small groups)

      Topics – a. how can Hunger Action address income inequality

                  b. What local events can you help organize during Hunger Action’s 30th anniversary

                  c. Key issues in 2012

      12:30   Lunch –

      1:10     Annual membership meeting

      1:30     The Legislative Challenges for 2012 (do short presentations, then followup with workshop and planning

                  a. State Budget priorities

                  b. Farm Bill 2012

                  c. Single Payer Health Care

                  d. Revenue Strategies

      2:15     Workshop Planning Sessions (go into a little more detail on issues, answer some questions, focus on what Hunger Action can do to help issues)

                  a. Farm Bill – Mark Dunlea

                  b. Revenue Strategies – Ron Deutsch

                  c. Legislative Issues – minimum wage, social services, jobs

      3:15     Next Steps

      3:40     Adjournment

      Hunger Action Network of New York State

      Annual Membership Meeting Registration Coupon - Monday, Sept. 19th, 2011

      __I/we will attend the Sept. 19th conference.  Number of attendees: ____

      Suggested donation (includes lunch): More if you can, less if you can’t.

      Members: $10 for individual, $5 low-income individuals and students

      Non-Members: $20 for organizations, $15 for individuals, $5 low-income individuals and students

      **$5 off if you become a member

      __ I am interested in carpooling.    __ I can offer a ride.     __ I need child care. (Need 1 week notice)

      Name             ___E-mail___

      Organization    ___Phone/Fax______

      Address   ___City       Zip

      Make checks payable to Hunger Action Network, 275 State St., Albany NY 12210

      More info: 212 741-8192 or 518 434-7371