Doing an ES2 mtg; Aug 26 planning meeting for fall hunger / housing conference

  • Dunleamark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2010
      Hi.

      So I would like to schedule a meeting for the Westchester ES2 coalition some time in August or early September. What days work well for people?

      It seems like several groups are already working on the county budget. Is there already a human service / advocacy coalition around the county budget that we could join / work with? I assume between now and November is crunch time.

      WESTHELP is asking the County DSS Commissioner and staff for a meeting to discuss the status of the various welfare jobs initiatives. CVH has also been working on this.

      We have had a few discussions with the Westchester Coalition on Hunger and Homelessness and Mt. Vernon United Tenants about doing a county anti-hunger, low-income housing conference in October in Westchester, potentially Friday Oct. 15 or 22nd. Immigration is another potential target. Would like to pick a few issues to work on together. We have a planning meeting at the Coalition's office on Thursday August 26th if you are interested at 10:30 AM. Please let me know. We may also have a panel of state legislative candidates to respond to some key hunger and housing issues.

      Hunger Action is also beginning work on the 2012 reauthorization of the federal farm bill. Attached is a leaftlet from a recent forum we did in NYC. We would be happy to organize a similar foreign in Westchester.

      Our statewide annual membership meeting is in NYC on Monday Sept. 20th.

      Dear Hunger Action Network Members:

      We are holding our annual membership meeting on Monday, September 20th at St. Mary's Episcopal Church, 521 West 126th Street, in Harlem.

      Below is a list of possible workshop topics. We will probably offer six. Please vote by August 10 on  your favorite 3 topics. The survey monkey is at

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JV2CHTS. Or email dunleamark@...

      The morning session will focus on responding to the great recession. This will include breakouts into small groups to get your feedbacks as to actions we individually and collectively should take. We will also vote on our organizational priorities for the coming year during the annual meeting section in the morning.

      Two years ago we did a march to the State Office Building on 125th Street after the conference. We would like to know whether you would like to see a similar event this year.

      Possible workshop topics - vote for up to three

      1.      Food Justice and the Farm Bill

      2.      Engaging EFP Guests in Advocacy Efforts

      3.      Hunger, Poverty and the 2011 State Legislative Agenda

      4.      Health Care is a Human Right: The Future for Single Payer Health Care

      5.      Establishing Nutritional Standards for Emergency Food and Improving Nutrition for EFP Guests

      6.      Building the Voice of the Faith Community

      7.      Creating Jobs for Low-Income New Yorkers

      8.      Organizing with EFP guests

      9.      The Safety Net: TANF Reauthorization

      10.  The Hunger/Obesity Paradox

      HANNYS Annual Members Meeting draft agenda

      9:30 registration

      9:45 Welcome

      10:00 Opening Plenary

      Ending Hunger During the Great Recession

      3 to 4 speakers - EFP, Faith, community organizer, academic

      11:00 Small group exercise developing ideas from Plenary

      11:45 - Annual meeting

      elect Board of Directors

      issue priorities for the year

      12:15 lunch

      1:00 PM First Set of Workshop

      2:00 PM Second Set of Workshops

      3:00 PM - Reports from the Community (tell us what your program is doing to end hunger)

      3:30 Adjournment (March)

      Hunger Action Network of New York State

      Annual Membership Meeting Registration Coupon - Monday, Sept. 20, 2010

      __I/we will attend the Sept. 22nd conference.  Number____

      Suggested donation (includes lunch): More if you can, less if you can’t.

      Members: $10 for individual, $5 low-income individuals and students

      Non-Members: $20 for organizations, $15 for individuals, $5 low-income individuals and students

                         **$5 off if you become a member

      __ I am interested in carpooling.   __ I can offer a ride.        __ I need child care. Need 1 week notice

      Name                                                           ___E-mail___

      Organization                                                 ___Phone/Fax______                                              ­

      Address                                                        ___City                                         Zip

      Make checks payable to Hunger Action Network, 64 Fulton St. #801, NY NY 10038

      More info: 212 741-8192 or 518 434-7371

    • Debbie Perkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2010

        8/24, 8/26

        9/14, 9/16 - AM

        Debbie Perkins, LMSW

        Community Housing Innovations, Inc.

        Director, Hudson Valley Programs

        190 East Post Rd, #401, White Plains , NY 10601

        Ph: 914-683-1010 x 232    Fax: 914-683-6158

        www.chigrants.org

        STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If this email has been sent to you in error, please notify us immediately.

        http://www.surveymo nkey.com/ s/JV2CHTS. Or email dunleamark@aol. com