Tues 10:30 AM meeting Westchester ES2 at ; Lowey mtg Mon March 8; March 9th lob

  • Dunleamark@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi.

      We are having a general meeting of the Westchester ES2 camapign on Tuesday March 2nd at 10:30 AM (NOTE: THIS IS HALF AN HOUR EARLIER) at the WESPAC Office in White Plains. 255 Martin Luther King Boulevard
      One focus is the Tuesday March 9th lobby day. We will have several vans, perhaps a bus, leaving from Westchester. Contact Dennis Hanratty - 914 699-1114 - to reserve your ride.

      I will also give a report on my recent meeting with the employment unit at Westchester DSS about implementation of the various job initiatives. They did say they were targeting the jobs to individuals who have completed some other DSS training program but if clients are interested, they should talk to their caseworker - transitional, green corps and health care jobs.

      We have also finally secured a meeting with Cong. Lowey for Monday March 8th at 11:15 AM in her White Plains office. This is primarily a meeting to discuss reauthorization of the federal Child Nutrition Programs, Child Tax Credit and Earned Income Tax Credit . but we can pick a few other topics. Please let me know if you would like to attend.

      WestHELP Greenburgh organized a successful lobby day training last Friday - close to 50 people showed up. A lot of the participants wanted more help finding jobs - and needed more help paying their rent. I suggested they set up a meeting with the DSS Commissioner.

      We had discussed doing a legislative breakfast for state legislators to discuss the state budget. That hasn't happened. Perhaps we could discuss doing meetings with individuals Westchester state legislators the week after the March 9th lobby day, say on the 19th. Pick two or three to really focus on.

      What else would people like on the March 2nd agenda?

      Single Payer NY is working with Private Health Insurance Must Go and Healthcare-NOW to organize a NYC meeting for single payer groups in the Metro NY area to do some networking and long term planning. Target date is Sat. April 10th.

      Tuesday, March 9th is the annual Hunger Action / Empire State Economic

      Security Campaign / Better Choice Budget Campaign LEGISLATIVE EDUCATION and ACTION DAY at the State Capitol.

      www.hungeractionnys.org

      FREE buses and  vans are being planned from NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, and Westchester.

      Though NYS is receiving over $3 billion in federal TANF and special stimulus funding for welfare, the Governor chose to use much of this money for deficit reduction and his proposed budget contains deep cuts in homeless prevention, human services, jobs, education and other critical services. The Governor wants to cut the 2nd phase of the welfare grant hike – won after 18 years – from 10% to 5%. We need to stop the cuts, make increased investments in job creation, housing, and other services for those hit hardest by recession, and advocate for progressive revenue options (e.g., increased taxes on the wealthy, stock transfer tax, soda tax).

      Please let us know if you are planning to come ASAP so that we can reserve you a seat on the bus (space is limited) and make appointments for you and your organization to meet with your area legislators that day.

      To Register, call 212-741-8192  downstate or 518-434-7371 upstate, or email

      lgilbert@... (mailto:lgilbert@...)

      We also hope groups will take action on March 18-19 as part of Hunger

      Awareness Day, including setting up in district meetings with state legislators

      to follow up on the budget; writing letters to the editor; and developing multimedia art projects around hunger, poverty and the state budget.

      The day begins at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 85 Chestnut St, Albany,

      A half block west of the LOB/Capital Building (between Dove and S. Swan).

      The schedule:

      9:30am Registration;

      10am Issue Briefing;

      11:15 Free Lunch;

      12noon March and rally at the Capitol;

      1-4pm Lobby Visits.

      Visits with lawmakers will include the following demands:

      · $100 Million for Good Jobs Now

      · No budget cuts for homeless programs, welfare grant, or education in poor neighborhoods

      · Single Payer Health Care for NYS

      · Fair Taxes

      · $500 Million Housing Investment Fund for NYS