361HANNYS Dec. 4 Fundraiser NYC; food a human right

  • dunleamark
    Nov 22, 2013
      Dear Friend:

      Hunger Action Network's annual fundraising event, ‘Soup & Salad to End Hunger’ will take place in NYC on Wednesday, December 4th at All Souls Church, 1157 Lexington Ave. at 80th Street, Manhattan from 6:30 to 8:30 PM.

      This year the event will be based on a soup kitchen model, with a meal of soup, bread and salad donated by local chefs and restaurants. We hope you will join us to help contribute to the effort to end hunger this holiday season.

      We are thrilled this year that international human rights campaigner Smita Narula will speak at the event at 7:30 pm on the movement to make food a human right - rather than a matter of charity.

      The suggested ticket price for the event is $35—more if you can, less if you can’t. There is also a program ad book for the event. We hope you will consider a message of support for Hunger Action Network – or anyone else you would like to honor. (Please fill out the enclosed form or contact carrie.hannys@ gmail.com.) Tickets can also be purchased online by clicking the event link on our homepage, www.hungeractionnys.org.

      The last year has been an eventful one. We helped win a small increase in the minimum wage. 200 attended our single payer lobby day. We are working to address the problem of wage theft. We have continued our work on the Farm Bill and on an food policy agenda for the next Mayor. We helped organize the first Mayoral forum on food issues that attracted 700 participants. We hope to win a mandate for breakfast in the classroom and universal free school lunch - and an increase in city and state funding for emergency food.

      We helped coordinate a NYC coalition opposing federal budget cuts to SNAP, Social Security, Medicare and other safety programs, calling for progressive taxes and cuts in wasteful Pentagon spending. And to fund jobs for all.

      Our event is part of a weeklong set of actions around income inequality, culminating in a rally on December 5th. We are working with a broad coalition of unions, Occupy, non-profit human services and others to remind the new administration of their promises to low income residents.

      In peace and hope,

      Mark A. Dunlea
      Executive Director

      P.S. Make checks payable to Hunger Action Network of NYS, 64 Fulton St., #801, NY NY 10038

      EVENT SPONSORS

      Organizers:

      Project Hospitality

      CWA Local 1180

      Advocates:

      Assemblymember Jim Brennan

      SoHo Journal

      Hosts:

      Stanley Aronowitz
      Ron Deutsch

      Mary Dewar
      Louise Feld, Citizens Committee for Children NY
      Food & Water Watch
      Henry Freedman
      Stuart & Adrienne Gruskin
      Daniele Gerard
      Dennis Hanratty
      NYS Senator Liz Krueger
      Joan Matthews
      Hon. Joseph R. Lentol
      Housing Works
      Local One, IATSE - Robert Score
      Bich Ha Pham

      Nancy Romer, Chair, Brooklyn Food Coalition
      Christy Robb
      Robert Schwartz
      Inez Sieben
      Heidi Siegfried