334Final Reminder: Just Change Westchester: Town Hall Meeting tomorrow, Saturday, April 14: Please join us! FULL INFO.

  • Roger Drew
    Apr 13, 2012
    Hey all,
    This is my final invitation. :) This is the full schedule with speaker bios, workshops topics and more.
    Please note:
    - Full day is free and includes food.
    - The whole day is Spanish/English, (despite this email in English).
    - Theres American Sign Language translation and childcare available when you register.
    - Free transportation from Mt. Kisco, Ossining, Port Chester, and White Plains.
    - There are over 200 people registered, so it will be packed.
    If you have any doubts, look over the full updated schedule and I think you will be convinced! Finally, please pass this along to someone else. See you tomorrow. :)
    Roger Drew
    WESPAC Advisory Board Member
    Facebook: Explore Wespac

    “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

    Please don't print this e-mail! Remember to reduce, reuse, & recycle.

    Dear Friends and Colleagues,

    We are thrilled that the Just Change Westchester: A Town Hall Meeting / Teach In for Social Change is taking place this Saturday, and we are thrilled so many of you are joining us.

    SNEAK PREVIEW:  Please see the full day’s exciting agenda with session descriptions below.

     Just Change Westchester: Town Hall Meeting/Teach-In

    Saturday, April 14, 2012, 9am to 6:30pm / Riverfront Library in Yonkers, New York

    Sponsored by the Elias Foundation

    Keynote speakers: Gaby Pacheco, Dream Act organizer

    Maya Wiley, Center for Social Inclusion, Racial justice activist

     featuring Afro-Peruvian band Chilcano!

     RSVP at http://www.regonline.com/justchangewestchester

    Follow us and like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JustChangeWestchester

     Habrá interpretación al Español através del día

    9:30 – 9:40am / WELCOME

    9:40 – 10:30am / ICEBREAKER: ALEXA BRADLEY

    Everyone’s work is part of a larger arc of historical work for social, economic, racial and environmental justice, for human dignity and survival.   We all benefit enormously from the work of thousands of others, just as what we do today we do in the hopes of changing conditions for tomorrow.

    10:30 – 11:15am / KEYNOTE SPEAKER:  MAYA WILEY

    A superwoman of her generation, racial justice activist, Maya Wiley, will set out a big picture vision for social change. Why is vision important in history and movements?  What is transformational change?

    Speakers: Deanna Zandt, Sean Gallagher and Justin Wedes

    Social Media guru Deanna Zandt will present and moderate accompanied by activist filmmaker Sean Gallagher and Justin Wedes co-founder of the Occupy Wall Street Social Media Collective. From the Arab Spring to Occupy Wall Street, we have witnessed how important media and connectivity has been for social change. Deanna Zandt will speak about the transformative usages of social media as a consciousness-raising medium as well a political, fundraising, and organizational tool. The speakers will share their on-the-ground experience and views of how culture and media promote the cause of social justice and discuss strategies for the immediate future.

    12:00 – 12:30pm / LUNCH

    12:30 – 2:00pm / BREAKOUT SESSIONS

    ·      Activist Filmmaking Workshop

    Facilitator: Sean Gallagher

    With the rapid evolution of technology, the accessibility of video cameras has given way to citizen journalism and the ability to document and release content quicker and to more viewers than ever before. Camera phones at Occupy Wall Street showed how a 1-minute clip of a first-hand account immediately loaded to YouTube can be as powerful as a 30-minute documentary that would take months to edit together. At the same time, a computer live streaming every moment of an occupation can be more revealing than a major news networks 1-minute summary of an all day event. The goal of this workshop is to showcase the power of filmmaking to visually tell stories pertaining to social justice and the ability to broadcast their work through the platforms discussed in the Social Media workshop.

    Format: The activist filmmaking workshop will begin by facilitating dialogue on the power of filmmaking and an informative look at knowing your rights as citizen journalists. We will also give a presentation showing content created in the Reel Change for Non-Profits course at the Jacob Burns Film Center. These examples showcase the work of local non-profits from around the community and is intended to help participants understand the different styles of filmmaking and start thinking about what would be the most effective forms of storytelling for their cause (i.e.: Voiceovers? Character driven? Information or opinion based?) The second part of the workshop will be a hands-on demonstration, teaching the basic rules of shot composition and strategies for interviews. We will set up a mock interview and then give participants the opportunity to use Flip Cameras to shoot their own interviews with each other about the event or about what activism means to them. The footage will then be collected and edited together to make a video to be released online.

    ·      Community Approaches To Electoral Politics

             Facilitator: Cora Greenberg

             Speakers: Nelly Garcia and Walter Lipscomb

    Many people think that to be involved in elections you either have to be eligible to vote or go the polls.  This examines how community members have gone beyond registering voters to impact change in their communities.  In this session we will have a dialogue about nontraditional methods to get the attention of candidates, elected officials and community members.
    ·      Economic Inequality: What Does It Mean For Westchester?
    Facilitator:  Chuck Bell
    Many believe that “income inequality” is THE political issue facing Americans today.  The Romney presidential campaign helps to highlight this.  Our workshop will focus on various issues: Jobs; Taxes; Public investment; attacks on Labor; corporate control of our media and politics; etc.  We’ll discuss people’s experience locally in an interactive atmosphere, hear local activists’ analysis of ongoing efforts to address the problem including Derek Grate of SEIU 1199, Dennis Hanratty of Mount Vernon United Tenants, and David Schwartz of the Working Families Party, and utilize the workshop to engage others in upcoming campaigns/action in Westchester and beyond.
    ·      Envisioning One Westchester: Great Education, Housing and Transit for All
    Facilitator: Don Chen
    Speakers: Claudia Edwards and Alexander Roberts
    There are countywide and regional opportunities to organize for better housing, education and transportation, and to develop strategic alliances and coalitions for equitable development. Housing and economic development has been shaped by many different historical factors, including the county's relationship with NYC, extensive public subsidies for suburban development, and a legacy of discrimination in housing and mortgage lending. The high cost of housing in the county is a major barrier to economic progress for many residents.  Workers travel far to reach jobs, higher education, recreation and public services, using a patchwork system of public transportation. The goal of this session is to develop a shared vision for equitable development in Westchester County – and an understanding of both the opportunities and obstacles for making progress on these issues.
    ·      Making History: Turning An Issue Of Injustice Into Power For Change
    Facilitator: Alexa Bradley
    We are often sparked into action by an occurrence of injustice in our communities.  We want to stop something bad from happening or to have our grievances addressed. These important moments can launch a campaign.  They can also open up the space for bigger and deeper change for our communities, becoming the creative push toward the just and joyful world we long for.  This participatory workshop will dig underneath the focus on an immediate “win”, and see how our issue work might also help us create allies, fresh leadership, a new public story and the proactive change we really want.

    ·      Social Media Workshop
           Facilitator: Deanna Zandt
           In this session, we will tackle the challenges of gaining a social media presence, collaborating with others on how to tell your story and get your message across effectively. This introductory workshop will run the gamut from the culture and politics of social media to strategies necessary to starting a social media campaign, as well understanding the metrics and analytics to keep you on track and measure your success. This workshop is perfect for social media novices who work with social justice movements, community organizers, advocates, and media makers who want to know how to incorporate new tools into their work, and find creative solutions to ongoing campaigns. This crash course will prove that you don’t need a communications staff to start taking advantage of these tools today.

    ·      Unity in Struggle: Creating Black & Latino Alliances

    Facilitator: Rosa Alicia Clemente

    Speakers: Ateo Laureano Peruyero Bracero, Damyn Kelly and Zoila Tazi
    This session will explore community struggles that brought together the Black and Latino communities and were able to move beyond differences in culture and perspective in order achieve shared victories. The workshop will also be a dialogue session to help members of our communities in Westchester move past similar barriers to unity that we face today.

    This workshop is intended to be an internal discussion between Black and Latino community members.

    12:30 – 3:45pm / 99% Spring Action Training

    Trainer: Juanita O. Lewis

    We're at a crossroads as a country. In recent years, millions have lost their jobs, homes have been foreclosed, and an unconscionable number of children live in poverty. We have to stand up to the people who caused all of this and confront the rampant greed and deliberate manipulation of our democracy and our economy by a tiny minority in the 1%. Inspired by Occupy Wall Street and the fight for workers in Madison, Wisconsin, the 99% will rise up this spring. In the span of just one week, from April 9-15, 100,000 people will be trained to tell the story of what happened to our economy, learn the history of non-violent direct action, and use that knowledge to take action on our own campaigns to win change. We'll gather for trainings in homes, community centers, places of worship, campuses, and public spaces nationwide to learn how to join together in the work of reclaiming our country through sustained non-violent action.

    2:15 – 3:45pm / BREAKOUT SESSIONS REPEAT

    ·      Activist Filmmaking Workshop

    ·      Community Approaches To Electoral Politics

    ·      Economic Inequality: What Does It Mean For Westchester?

    ·      Envisioning One Westchester: Great Education, Housing and Transit for All

    ·      Making History: Turning An Issue Of Injustice Into Power For Change

    ·      Social Media Workshop

    ·      Unity in Struggle: Creating Black & Latino Alliances

    Gaby, as an undocumented immigrant, is an outspoken advocate for the Dream Act.  She will share her amazing organizing story with us and inspire us to forge ahead!

    4:45 – 5:00pm / CLOSING REMARKS

    5:00 – 6:30pm / RECEPTION

    Celebrate the day with food, libations, dancing and music: Chilcano is an electrifying blend of Afro-Peruvian tradition and modern jazz, funk, blues, and more…the band was formed by jazz innovator Gabriel Alegria, and has made long strides since its conception in September 2010.  Chilcano performs weekly on Saturdays at Tutuma Social Club in Manhattan. Appetizers and beverages served.

    An enormous thank you to our incredible, dedicated and fearless organizers:

    LaMont Wale Badru, Picture The Homeless

    Charles Bell, People’s Action Coalition

    Roger Drew, WESPAC

    Rachel Estroff, Westchester for Change

    Tarin Gonzalez, Carver Center

    Cora Greenberg, Westchester Children’s Association

    Dennis Hanratty, Mt. Vernon United Tenants

    Antoinette Klatzky, Eileen Fisher Foundation

    Marcela Levin, Parent Leadership Institute

    Juanita Lewis, Community Voices Heard

    Jacqueline Mann, Elias Foundation

    Lutonya Russell-Humes, Ossining resident

    David Schwartz, Working Families Party

    Zoila Tazi, Ossining resident

    Organization affiliation for identification purposes only.