A member shares someone else's sceptical view of the Westall event.

  • Shane L.J. Ryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Dear members,

      One of our original Melbourne members shared at a meeting recently that the Westall
      flying saucer incident reunion was coming up. His sharing was met with much mirth
      apparently, but one sceptical person at least asked him for more information. The
      enquirer, a man called Bill (not one of the Bills from our web site who have posted
      previously), who went to Scotch College in Melbourne at around the same time as the
      Westall event, had a look at the Yahoo web site and the story in general. He shared his
      sceptical thoughts with our member, who has kindly passed them on to me, just to
      provide an example of one person's sceptical - and I think entirely understandable -
      approach to reading and hearing about the Westall event. Given Bill's nascent knowledge
      of the event, his comments are probably fair enough, and perhaps representative of the
      reaction many other people might have.

      I post them here for your information. I am sure most of you will have already canvassed
      in your own minds and research the points Bill has raised. As our member has
      commented, he does not agree with Bill's theories, and nor do I in general - given what I
      have been told about this story in the course of my research - but then Bill has not had
      access to this information. If there are any thoughts, please feel free to post!

      By the way, I have booked my flights and hire car for the 8th of April - so at least I will be
      there!!

      Now, Bill's post:

      Hi,

      I had a quick crawl around the group's site but to me it has the hallmarks of all UFO
      sightings – no hard evidence. Despite comments about hundreds of people seeing the site
      and many vehicles attending, not a photo exists so, to me, not one attending thought it
      was unusual enough to warrant a photo. The area involved was fairly small 50' diameter
      yet that is huge for some flying object and it seems strange such was not seen in fine
      detail by any named people.

      April can be quite balmy like last night. This is when Min Min lights occur in central Qld
      and they are not UFO's but common in twilight conditions and probably in broad daylight
      only they then cannot be seen. They are static electricity discharges which move about,
      contain significant energy, certainly enough to move grass around like a rubbed comb will
      your hair, it is possible some singing could occur at ground contact and they are known to
      ignite methane as occurs in swamps and probably in this area then too. Likewise Willie
      willies can make similar markings but usually only occur in higher temps during day. I
      have seen enough of them to know that they can move grass and things around in circular
      unidirectional patterns and throw things across power wires. I was nearly hit at Darwin
      showgrounds by debris and sparks off power wires during one and area was very localised.
      It barely moved and lasted less than 30 seconds. Had grass been there, a 50'
      unidirectional circular pattern would have resulted, complete with scorch marks. Power
      wires near the Grange could have fried a bird who got across an insulator leading to
      scorch marks as fluttered around. Ever if dead muscular contractions occur for quite some
      time as we all know when heads are cut off chooks, they run in circles and could have
      ended up some distance from the circle. Trampled grass bent in a pattern could be an
      outcome of the people walking around after looking for something like the flash from a
      singed bird. That the military were not interested tells me that they saw nothing
      significant, so why should I? That no photos exist or proper reports exist adds to my
      scepticism.

      Did not you perform or hear of like pranks when a kid? Westall school is nearby and
      screened by bushland so must be considered a prank source. I remember this was an era
      when UFO sightings were almost daily news, – a mass phobia heightened by the successful
      launch of Sputnik, something that we all went out and looked for with binoculars not so
      long before. I at that time was actually tracking satellites in that era being a licensed radio
      ham. Why would not the Westall kids have similar in mind or done something on UFO's as
      a prank. The school may have even set it all up as a class project to educate kids on public
      reaction! The area involved is appropriate for doing such a thing covertly. Why would the
      school be secretive as alleged unless it was a known prank or school project. If so some
      must have had quite a laugh and it been a rather successful project and if so, why then
      spoil a good story? The media usually beat things up and try to keep a story going but
      what they printed was hardly impressive. Local papers will write on almost anything yet I
      saw not a single shot of the exact site, bent grass or of the scorch marks. Your letter gives
      clues as to location but I certainly could not find the location using it as there are no
      measurements, just generalities. The nearby tips/sand mines I doubt had any significance
      but certainly can add an eeriness to the area with evil smells and in those days burning
      trash was very common as were methane seeps.

      What then do I think of it all? I believe it was most likely a Westall school prank, some kids
      were impressed by flying saucers and with the class focus on space race at that time
      thanks initially to Sputnik, so mimicked a Buck Rogers style saucer which had flames
      emitting from their rims and simply simulated with nothing more than 50' of string and
      whirling around a rock or lump of wood wrapped with a burning kero soaked rags or a
      caustic chemical of some kind. By spinning it around, grass would be flattened and minor
      circular scorch marks around the periphery be created and voila', a landing pad for a Buck
      Rogers style flying saucer was created in a few seconds. Spread the word amongst a few
      students that a saucer had been seen and landed nearby public hysteria did the rest.

      I went to Scotch College 1960-64 and kids there did similar pranks. The highly manicured
      main sports oval suffered one night with grass being killed in a Swastika pattern by I think
      caustic soda. Overnight dew eliminated evidence of that powder. The grass looked burned
      or singed in the morning and died. Most kids around that time had been reading Mein
      Kampf, Hiltler's pattern for Germany's future which was then a best seller. Kids were not
      Nazis just curious, so a Swastika pattern burnt into the oval surface was hardly sinister but
      not cause any glee. I think a kid was expelled over it! The identical chemical may have
      been used near the Grange to burn the grass.
      I recall other kid's pranks from those times and the thought that went into them as well as
      the prevailing deep interest and public phobia over Martians and the like.

      I don't doubt that something occurred out there, I just think terrestrial beings were behind
      it, not extraterrestrial beings, our impoverished moribund military or any flying object
      unless it was a badly singed bird!

      Cheers

      Bill

      You may wish to post this on the Yahoo group to stir things up a bit!
    • George
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        Sorry Shane, it seems to me you are far too accepting of the skeptics point of view. The letter he has written is total CRAP.
        I know some witnesses, what they say stands. They were there.

        I'm totally fed up with these tired old theories from these skeptics who negate everything.
        They do not deserve the attention you give them.
        I'm having NOTHING further to do with your website , or any of it's skeptical members.

        I will be there on the day...the Grange park...as it was my idea to begin with.
        Maybe someone else will come along...who knows.
        Good luck with your book.

        Cheers...George Simpson.  Director AUFORN Vic.
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • hrvyalex
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In Westallhighschoolufo@yahoogroups.com, "Shane L.J. Ryan"
          <shaneryan@...> wrote:

          > Dear members,
          >
          > One of our original Melbourne members shared at a meeting recently
          that the Westall

          <snip>

          > Now, Bill's post:
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > April can be quite balmy like last night.

          Balmy in april?

          >This is when Min Min lights occur in central Qld

          Nothing to do with Victoria??????

          <snip> A lot of BS 8(

          >Power wires near the Grange could have fried a bird who got across
          an insulator leading to scorch marks as fluttered around.

          "fried a bird"???? Now that's it!

          What a load of BS!

          AH