"The Canberra Times" article.

  • Shane Ryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
      Dear members,

      Well, hasn't it been quiet on the web site recently!!

      I must take the blame for this I am afraid. Surprise, surprise, but our new baby son has been keeping my wife and I occupied!

      Please find below an email from Gillian Lord, journalist at The Canberra Times who penned the article on Westall (and UFOs) that appeared in the 15 October 2005 edition. Please note that there are two pages attached below - it was quite a big article. The pages may need to be enlarged to be read. Unfortunately, just as my email address was wrong in the earlier Age article, the web site address in The Canberra Times article is also incorrect. Gotta love typos! Some nice photos in this Canberra article though.

      I still plan to post the summary of witnesses on the site - I do apologise for the delay again.

      By the way, if you have a reasonably fast computer, the aerial photography site, www.city2see.com.au, is a fantastic resource. You can see some great 2005 imagery of Westall including The Grange Reserve. It is fascinating to compare the 2004 photos with the 1966 aerial shot. It is actually possible to identify the same trees and tracks!!

      A documentary film maker is flying to Canberra from Melbourne in a couple of weeks to interview me about the possibility of making a story about Westall. She is an accomplished film maker with ABC and SBS credits. I will keep you all posted.

      Until next time,

      Best wishes,

      Shane.

      Shane L.J. Ryan
      DipJpnStd BTh MA GradCertTESOL GradDipTESOL [cand.]
      30 Renny Place
      BELCONNEN  ACT  2617
      AUSTRALIA
      home telephone: 02 6253 2347
      mobile telephone: 0402 085 553

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Gillian Lord" <gillian.lord@...>
      Date: 22 November 2005 11:26:07 AM
      To: "Shane L.J. Ryan" <shaneryan@...>
      Subject: Re: 1966 Westall.

      Gillian Lord
      Senior reporter
      The Canberra Times
      Australia
      Ph: (02) 6280 2306
      +61 2 6280 2306
      Fax: (02) 6280 2282
      PO Box 7155
      Canberra B.C.
      ACT 2610
      e-mail: gillian.lord@...
    • George
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005

        Thanks for that Shane, but I have one request. Could you please post those article pages in higher res...because they are impossible to read, and they just pixillate  if you enlarge them. They are totally illegible.
        Cheers...George.

        From: "Gillian Lord" <gillian.lord@...>
        Date: 22 November 2005 11:26:07 AM
        To: "Shane L.J. Ryan" <shaneryan@...>

        Gillian Lord
        Senior reporter
        The Canberra Times
        Australia
        Ph: (02) 6280 2306
        +61 2 6280 2306
        Fax: (02) 6280 2282
        PO Box 7155
        Canberra B.C.
        ACT 2610
        e-mail: gillian.lord@...

[...]

        shaneryan@...

        Begin forwarded message:

        > From: "Gillian Lord" <gillian.lord@...>
        > Date: 22 November 2005 11:26:07 AM
        > To: "Shane L.J. Ryan" <shaneryan@...>
        > Subject: Re: 1966 Westall.
        >

        > Gillian Lord
        > Senior reporter
        > The Canberra Times
        > Australia
        > Ph: (02) 6280 2306
        > +61 2 6280 2306
        > Fax: (02) 6280 2282
        > PO Box 7155
        > Canberra B.C.
        > ACT 2610
        > e-mail: gillian.lord@...

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Shane Ryan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
          Dear George and others,

          My profuse apologies for the unreadability of the article from The Canberra Times. I had a look at the email I received via the Yahoo web site too and yes, it was hopeless.

          Unfortunately, the Yahoo site does not allow attachments of more than 1 MB, and each article part is more than 1 MB. I made the files smaller so that they would send, but alas that also made them illegible. I think we might be at the limit of the Yahoo site's capabilities (or mine) - sorry about that. I have also been trying to upload the article as a file directly to the site, but with no luck there either.

          If I think of some other way - or one of you does - we'll try that.

          Shame, because it is a really great article.

          Regards,

          Shane.

          Shane L.J. Ryan
          DipJpnStd BTh MA GradCertTESOL GradDipTESOL [cand.]
          30 Renny Place
          BELCONNEN  ACT  2617
          AUSTRALIA
          home telephone: 02 6253 2347
          mobile telephone: 0402 085 553

        • hs_saman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2006
            Shane Ryan <shaneryan@v...> wrote:
            [snip]

            > Unfortunately, the Yahoo site does not allow attachments of more than
            > 1 MB, and each article part is more than 1 MB. I made the files
            > smaller so that they would send, but alas that also made them
            > illegible. I think we might be at the limit of the Yahoo site's
            > capabilities (or mine) - sorry about that. I have also been trying to
            > upload the article as a file directly to the site, but with no luck
            > there either.
            >
            > If I think of some other way - or one of you does - we'll try that.

            hello,

            here's a solution? -: there are free image storage sites available-i use:
            http://www.villagephotos.com/

            also there are free files storage sites with big uploads such as:
            http://www.megaupload.com/

            where you upload your file(any type), then receive a download link to
            it which you can share...

            hope this helps...,

            HS