My interest in this incident

  • Keith Basterfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2005
      Hi all

      My name is Keith Basterfield, living in Adelaide and a
      member of the Australian UFO Research Association

      In associated with the Australian UFO Research Network
      (AUFORN) AURA has for the last two years been driving
      a project called Disclosure Australia (see web site

      As stage one of this project we have been locating and
      examing UFO files held by various Government
      Departments through both the Archives Act and the
      Freedom of Information Act. Our work is described on
      our website.

      We have located and examined dozens of Government UFO
      related files and been through thousands of pages of
      material-some previosuly known but some never seen
      before by civilian researchers.

      I have looked for any information on the 1966 Westall
      event in these Government documents and found nothing
      at all on it. No record in the RAAF files, CSIRO files

      I have located my sparse personal papers on this
      incident and paste them in below for what they are

      DATE: 6 April 1966
      Notes by: Keith Bastefield, PO Box 786, North
      Adelaide, South Australia 5006

      Section A Information from first hand witnesses

      Witness 1 Lyn

      “As I recall we did see a large area of flattened
      grass which looked as though the grass had been
      flattened all the same way in a circular fashion. By
      memory it was about 20 feet across.

      At the time we informed the teachers not much interest
      was shown, although I think a local newspaper came
      along-teachers were not impressed.”

      (Source: Letter from Lyn to Keith Basterfield dated 14
      May 1990.)

      Witness 2 Ken (brother of witness 3)

      “I was 17 years old and on my way home from Clayton
      tech with some friends. We would pass the kids coming
      home from Westall High. This night the conversation on
      everyone’s lips was the flying saucer incident. I
      remember it caused enough of a stir for the 4 of us to
      walk about a mile across to where the Westall kids had
      said the saucers had gone down behind the trees
      earlier in the day.

      In 1966 Clayton and particularly Westall was almost
      country. The paddock the saucers landed in was remote
      from houses and surrounded by tall pines. The area had
      the grass flattened and “tufted” in circles about 60’
      to 120’ diameter. The rest of the long grass was
      undisturbed. No circles overlapped. We thought and
      talked of ways you could make such circles, such as
      walking with a rope or a tractor and a slasher. They
      didn’t look like they were made by a method we could
      think of.

      I remember the circles were like the circles pictured
      in the newspapers around this time of the saucer nest
      in Tully N.Q. I don’t know if this was before or after
      what we saw. I know time dulls memories. I am reminded
      of various incidents that vary in the way I and other
      people remember them.

      One thing that does absolutely amaze me is the way the
      Westall incident is remembered. About a year ago, at a
      party, a girl I didn’t know asked if I was (his name).
      She said she had gone to Westall with my sister Kris.
      She remembered the saucers and described it the same
      way Kris does. She knew of many of her friends that
      remembered it. She asked if Kris still remembered it.
      They hadn’t seen or spoken to each other for 20 years.

      Regarding the Army, Police etc. I heard the stories
      about them coming checking and taking a camera. I
      didn’t see any of this myself. I didn’t see the
      saucers myself. I did see the circles.”

      (Source: Letter from ken to Keith Basterfield 11 May

      Witness 3 Kris (sister of witness 2)

      I was in the second intake of students at Westall High
      and in 1966 was in my third year there. The school had
      been built on vacant land approximately 19km
      south-east of Melbourne. Westall was a new suburb in
      an industrial area. Moorabbin Airport is perhaps 7km

      During the morning tea break one of the kids told us
      that there were flying saucers down at the oval. My
      friends and I raced to the far corner of the oval, and
      by this time there were quite a lot of other kids
      there. We didn’t see them immediately as they were
      quite high-and apart from hat we didn’t expect to see
      anything! What I saw was several objects that appeared
      as one saucer inverted on another, they were perhaps
      white or shiny in colour and maybe there were about 7
      of them.

      It was difficult to tell how big they were as I had no
      way of knowing how high they were, but they were
      whizzing back and forward across the sky at a rapid

      The UFOs appeared to come down behind some trees not
      too far from the school ground and some of the
      children climbed the fence top go over there, I
      didn’t. perhaps they appeared to come down then up
      again-I find that part hard to remember.

      I think we may have had a twenty minute break for
      morning tea and we saw the UFOs soon after the break
      began. We watched them until the bell to return to
      class had sounded. Some of the children returned to
      class immediately, but I stayed for probably another
      ten minutes-by this time the teachers were rounding up
      the kids. The teacher we had (for Library) was intent
      on telling us we had made the lot up, stop the
      nonsense and get into class!

      When the lunch break arrived I immediately looked
      skyward but saw nothing. There was talk of reporters
      being at the gate but teachers on duty told all the
      children to keep away. After lunch a special assembly
      was called where the principal informed the children
      hat they had seen nothing and to talk to no-one about
      it! I couldn’t believe it-there were so many children
      that did see this event.

      When I returned from school I told my mother about the
      day’s events and she mentioned that my brother, Ken,
      had ridden on his bike somewhere over near Westall
      High. When he returned much later he told of the
      flattened grass circles and of the Army and Air Force
      taking photos, there were lights set up and a lot of
      personnel. They were trying to keep onlookers away.

      That night there was a short article on the evening
      news. I think there may have been some film of the
      school-taken at lunchtime-I’m not sure.

      Every time I was outside for days after I looked for
      these UFOs but saw nothing until the following
      Saturday when my girlfriend and I were at the local
      park at the end of our street. The park was alongside
      a railway line and in a direct line from our homes to
      the school.

      We looked toward the direction of our school, but a
      little to the right and again saw the same type of UFO
      moving rapidly back and forward in the sky. We watched
      for only a few minutes before racing back to my
      friend’s house to get her father-who had been very
      skeptical. They only lived a few hundred metres from
      the park, and when he saw them he scratched his head
      and agreed they were not planes and that he had no
      idea what they were-he wouldn’t admit they could be
      UFOs….The UFOs did not stay around for long but I
      remember when they went it was extremely quickly. That
      was the last time I saw them.”

      “Some information that could be of value is:

      Principal: Mr Samblebe
      Form teacher: Ms I J Brown.”

      (Source: Letter from Kris to Keith Basterfield 1 May

      Keith Basterfield
      "The answers are sometimes in the journey
      and not the destination."

      Do you Yahoo!?