Re: Getting to know you!

  • Nancy Valimaki
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hi JoAnn,

      Sorry for this delayed response. Life's been full here lately. Things are finally quieting down here a bit. I think... :o)

      I'm so sorry to hear about your son. It must have been terrifying for you and your family! I hope his recovery is going well for him. It's good that he is focussing on 'now'. It will help his healing. Writing is such a good outlet for healing, as well.

      It was nice to hear that the WRA graduation ceremony was inspiring and fun. We are so far away from that experience. My daughter is only 10.5 years old and my son is 7.5 years old But I'm sure it will be here in the blink of an eye. I don't even want to think about it yet!

      We just enjoyed a lovely week outside. We took advantage of the warmer weather and had fun! My kids haven't slept this good in a while! And, as usual for our family, my kids are looking forward for springtime. The energy that my two have now is hard for me to keep up with! Me? I'd like a little more time to hibernate.

      Our approach to homeschooling 'looks' more like radical unschooling. I prefer to call it individualized curriculum. But then people ask me what curriculum do I use. My kids follow their passions. I facilitate their learning. It's all on a very subtle level. I recently discovered my kids are intuitive learners - my daughter's style is emotional and my son's is kinesthetic. Hence, what we do looks much different and is much different from how most folks homeschool. And, I love that we can approach learning and life exactly as we need and want to!

      I am so thankful for this global community we now have available to us. For so long, I tried to find my 'tribe' only to discover how different my family and I are from a lot of folks we meet. Now I am enjoying the connection with others like us all over the world. It's a wonderful life!

      Thank you for allowing this community a chance to share and grow.
      Nancy

      --- In WestRiverAcademyFamilies@yahoogroups.com, "JPB" <jpbarham@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > We have a Newfoundland (dog) Charlie, a terrier mix Daisy, and a cat named Maria. We are interested in rats as pets -- adopted 2, only to find they were quite ill. We are going to adopt through a reputable breeder in Denver once life is calmer (hahaha, famous last words).
      >
      > I don't do much ;) other than try to survive lately!
      > Wishing you all well,
      > JoAnn in Longmont
      >
      > --- In WestRiverAcademyFamilies@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kim@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hope I am doing this correctly...
      > >
      > > ;-)
      > >
      > > Parents' Names: Doug & Kim
      > >
      > > Children's Names and Ages: Jordan 21 (college), Blake 18 (college), Mellie 12 & granddaughter Arwyn 2
      > >
      > > Where you Live: Monument, CO
      > >
      > > Where you have lived: All over but Colorado for the past 23 years
      > >
      > > Dreams, Goals, Plans (for parents and/or kids): Explore, Adventure, Make learning a lifetime passion, raise confident, happy, productive & fulfilled adults.
      > >
      > > Hobbies/talents/interests: Hiking, swimming, horses, day trips, travel, Disney, museums...Mellie loves to write, she loves fashion & being outdoors.
      > >
      > > Pets: 2 dogs..a lab puppy named Claire & a 6 year old mini beagle Reilly, 2 cats, Trouble & Fat Louie
      > >
      > > Careers (kids' or parents'): Doug is in sales management with a large industrial supply firm. Kim is home with kids & dabbles in various entrepreneurial ventures...loves natural health & natural healing products.
      > >
      > > Anything else you'd like to add: Looking forward to sharing, growing & developing friendships within the West River family.
      > >

      > > --- In WestRiverAcademyFamilies@yahoogroups.com, Woerner <woerner@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Parents' Names: Kirk and Angela
      > > >
      > > > Children's Names and Ages: Hannah, 13 and Henry, 1
      > > >
      > > > Where you Live: Brush
      > > >
      > > > Where you have lived: Greeley, Ault
      > > >
      > > > Dreams, Goals, Plans (for parents and/or kids): Go where life takes us
      > > >
      > > > Hobbies/talents/interests: Hannah is great at drawing and other art, Henry
      > > > likes to throw toys over the gates to the dogs ;) Angela sews, and Kirk
      > > > loves to ride his bicycle long distances in summer.
      > > >
      > > > Pets: 4 budgie parakeets: Cloud, Flip, Kumari, and Cotton
      > > > 3 dogs: Silk, Denim, and Lady (a hand-me-down, which is why her name isn't a
      > > > fabric) ;)
      > > >
      > > > Careers (kids' or parents'): Kirk is a Veteran's representative at the
      > > > workforce center. Angela stays home with the children

    • JPB
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 20, 2011
        I appreciate the response, and I'm sorry I'm also slow in replying! We are currently on "spring break," which for us means catching up on household projects and maintenance! I am taking a break, sitting down, to see what's going on online. :)

        I agree, most of us probably look like untraditional schoolers -- or unschoolers. There are just so many ways to learn -- and it certainly doesn't require workbooks or buildings! My family's favorite way to learn is TRAVELING. We are planning a roadtrip to WY to visit a college my son will probably attend this fall. He was accepted, but we haven't seen it yet.

        Hope you're all getting through winter okay, and are ready for spring! Life is still busy here w/my elderly MIL nearby, and with my oldest son's recovery from his wreck on 12/29. He just started driving again, so that's a HUGE plus.

        Take care!
        JoAnn in Longmont, CO

        --- In WestRiverAcademyFamilies@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Valimaki" <nmvalimaki@...> wrote:

        > Hi JoAnn,
        >
        > Sorry for this delayed response. Life's been full here lately. Things are finally quieting down here a bit. I think... :o)
        >

        > I am so thankful for this global community we now have available to us. For so long, I tried to find my 'tribe' only to discover how different my family and I are from a lot of folks we meet. Now I am enjoying the connection with others like us all over the world. It's a wonderful life!
        >
        > Thank you for allowing this community a chance to share and grow.
        > Nancy

      • masj96
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2011
          > Parents' Names: Mark and Josephine
          >
          > Children's Names and Ages: Tristan 11, Quentin 10, Allie 7
          >
          > Where you Live: Wheat Ridge, CO
          >
          > Where you have lived: Sacramento, CA
          >
          > Dreams, Goals, Plans (for parents and/or kids): Our family would like to become expats at some point. Mom is going to school studying anthropology. Quentin and Allie both want to be scientists of some sort. Tristan wants to own his own bistro. Dad wants to see us all grow and be happy.
          >
          > Hobbies/talents/interests: Cooking, Photography, Reading, Video games, Outdoor activities.
          >
          > Pets: we currently have 4 dogs. A lab named Dobbie, a mini winnie named Sandy, and their 2 puppies Daisy and Goddard. Unfortunately we have to part with our puppies. :-(

        • hamiltonmarsha42
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2011
            I am Marsha, I am married to cole, we have 5 kids the ages are 11,9,7,6,4 we live in Utah have been for about a yr know.
            We started homeschooling in 2010, the reason was the school we had my kids in was not helping them they wanted to hold them all back, tutor them, resource, well basically you name it they tryed or wanted to do it with my kids. My husband and I talked about homeschooling then a few weeks after,I found a lady that had homeschooled her kids for year's,she told me what to use, "SAXON MATH" that was about it. So we do the Saxon Math, but in the mean time we are taking a break from it. The kids and I love homeschooling, but I am so stressed I don't know what all to do for them. I know that sounds crazy. I'll exsplain what we are doing know.
            I have bought thousands of dallors worth of homeschooling books, trying to get an idea, THE WELL TRAINED MIND, BY SUSAN WISE BAUER.......THE WELL ADJUSTED MIND CHILD BY RACHEL GATHERCOLE.................GAMES FOR MATH BY PEGGY KAYE.....................GAMES FOR LEARNING BY PEGGY KAYE..........GAMES FOR READING BY PEGGY KAYE... and I have got walmart verson for ABC'S, COUNTING,MATH, MONEY, etc.

            I'll kinda explain what we do know if that is alright,
            we wake up @ 6am get dressed, get our rooms cleaned, and get ready for the day, my 11 yr old helps me start breakfast, after we get done with breakfast we do the usel clean up the kicten, all the kids are responsible for there own plate, I know that sounds silly sorry about it, then we start off with a story for mom, 15 - 20 min. The 11yr old and our 9 yr old start there math, spelling, reading, for there math we have been doing measureing anything they write the number down then something else they write the number under neath the first number then they add it together they seemed to have fun with that.. 2nd I made a game board that has 10 rows and put ovals down the columns they have a 1/2 a deck of cards they flip over a number then they put beans in the ovals whatever number they turn over it teaches them how to count by there 10's and also and say like they have 5rows filled and 1 so you have 50 + 10 more rows which would be 60 I don't know they thought it was a fun game to do. sorry about it. it proable sounds silly.. THen our 7,6,4 yr olds we read alot do ABC games, count alot alot.... we play consintration, we play matching games, we sing abc's, we watch educational movies, they can write there own name which is good.
            I am sorry for just giving you my life proablems but, I don't know if I'm doing a good job, that's why I wanted to join the group and maybe make some friends for the kids and I, I know that sounds crazy.. to back up alittle bit We havn't done histroy, some science, no social studies, if it's not to much trouble with anyone that has time to help me get some idea's, or where to begin with these little one's. I hope that ya'all well forgive me for writing this.
            I would really love to learn more. If thats alright.
            thank you all, for your time and help.
            I hope that you'll have a great and safe day!!
            marsha