New poll for WestMichiganHams

  • WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
      WestMichiganHams group:

      Amateur radio operators in times of emergency have stepped up and provided communication were they were needed. When it comes to volunteering our skills as hams how do you feel �.

      o I do not want to volunteer for anything
      o I am a communicator and should only do communications
      o I am limited on what I can do and do not feel I would be of help
      o I know all I need to know and will help when the time comes
      o I will train for some things but I have very limited time to participate
      o I want to train for as much as I can and help were I am trained
      o I seen the poll but will not vote

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 19, 2006
        WestMichiganHams group:

        Would you like to see a West Michigan DF contest this Spring. Please take time to fill out thanks �Don

        o Yes ... I would participate if possible.
        o No ... not interested
        o Yes .. and I would help put it on if I can

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 18, 2006
          WestMichiganHams group:

          Would you participate in a daytime session of the West Michigan Traffic Net (WMTN)?

          o Yes. At any time of the day.
          o Yes, but only if it is in the morning.
          o Yes, but only if it is in the afternoon.
          o No. I am not into NTS.
          o No. I have other obligations during the day.

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 10, 2008
            WestMichiganHams group:

            This poll will not display voter identity
            I am taking a poll on West Michigan Hams about hams on the
            reflector
            Please take the time to pick your choices and you can pick
            more then one choice
            How did you get started in this hobby....73 Don - KB8ODB

            o I have a Technician Class License
            o I have a General Class License
            o I have a Amateur Extra Class License
            o I have had my license for less then 10 years
            o I have had my license for more then 10 years
            o I studied out of books and went to a test site on my own
            o I studied with help from another ham and tested
            o I attend a class of more then 16 hours and tested
            o I attended a ham in a day class and tested
            o I passed my test the first time
            o I passed my test on the 2nd or more times
            o I plan on advanceing on my own
            o I am looking for a class to take to advance
            o I use VHF
            o I use HF
            o I use CW
            o I use Phone
            o I use Digital
            o I have battery backup at my home station
            o I am mostly on the repeaters
            o I am a membe of at least one club
            o I am a member of an Emergancy service group
            o I like to help out with ham related events
            o I read this poll but am not taking part in it

            web site listed above.

            Thanks!
          • WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 19 6:23 PM
              WestMichiganHams group:

              I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.

              o I use windows and make my own changes
              o I use Linex and make my own changes
              o I use both and make my own changes to both
              o I use both and make my own changes to both
              o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
              o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
              o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
              o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows

              web site listed above.

              Thanks!
            • Dennis Harriss

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 20 3:59 AM
                  Thanks for the heads up on the poll ...I did change it I think it is good now ...if you could please vote again as when I changed it ... it was reset .... thanks again ..73 Don

                  Donald Meyer - KB8ODB

                  Assistant Coordinator of volunteers of  North Ottawa Amateur Radio Club Working with Public Safety to make a safer community in the Ferrysburg, Grand Haven and Spring Lake Area

                  EOC Assistant Amateur Radio in Ottawa County

                  e-mail:kb8odb@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 20 11:52 AM
                    What? No Mac?

                    --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > WestMichiganHams group:
                    >
                    > I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.
                    >

                    > o I use windows and make my own changes
                    > o I use Linex and make my own changes
                    > o I use both and make my own changes to both
                    > o I use both and make my own changes to both
                    > o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
                    > o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
                    > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
                    > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows

                    > web site listed above.
                    >
                    > Thanks!

                  • Don Meyer

                      > I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.
                      >

                      > o I use windows and make my own changes
                      > o I use Linex and make my own changes
                      > o I use both and make my own changes to both
                      > o I use both and make my own changes to both
                      > o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
                      > o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
                      > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
                      > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows

                      > web site listed above.
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • Alan Beagley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 20 2:41 PM
                        Wot? No eComStation? -- the still-alive-and-being-improved OEM version
                        of "the operating system for which Windows was intended to be merely a
                        placeholder." No viruses known to exist outside a lab. Had support for
                        64 CPUs well over a decade ago.*

                        Alan NV8A

                        *That's OS/2, which started as a joint project by IBM and Microsoft but
                        was then sabotaged by Microsoft, which wanted quick-and-dirty rather
                        than done-right.

                        On 03/20/11 02:52 pm, ke8fo wrote:
                        > What? No Mac?
                        >
                        > --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
                        >> WestMichiganHams group:
                        >>
                        >> I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.
                        >>

                        >> o I use windows and make my own changes
                        >> o I use Linex and make my own changes
                        >> o I use both and make my own changes to both
                        >> o I use both and make my own changes to both
                        >> o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
                        >> o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
                        >> o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
                        >> o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
                        >>

                        >> To vote, please visit the following web page:
                      • Joe Veldhuis
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 20 3:06 PM
                          Also, what's "linex" anyway? Never heard of that one before...

                          -Joe, N8FQ

                          • Mark
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 20 4:51 PM
                              Joe,

                              "Linex" is a pronunciation of 'Linux' used predominantly in the Great Lake State and other locales that consider venison a delicacy.  Even if it is the product of a car vs. deer report so long as the tenderloins are still intact.  Researchers and other reliable sources have found that since said use was not typical of northern dialects (two syllable words are usually broken into two distinct sounds as oppose to a single, but more complex sound), it has been concluded that use of the term is used as a form of aural brevity, which is an integral part of efficient communications due to it's long track record of saving lives.

                              Aural brevity was a very important part of some of my formal emergency communications training.  I learned  all this from the best  teachers many years ago in a class given by Muskegon Central Dispatch.

                              Now you know.

                              Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:06 PM