Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: on hand

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hank has some good points.

      I adopt a 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude for running standard lead acid batteries in the shack.  I use them on occasion, but don't recommend them.

      Hydrogen only comes out of a battery when it is charging.  The amount is rather small, has to be somewhat enclosed, and has to be of a mixture that will ignite.  There also needs to be an ignition source.  If you charge a battery really fast and a spark occurs you will have trouble.

      I was called to repair a pay loader that was damaged when it was being jump started many years back.  The loader's batteries were run dead from trying to start it.  The battery compartment was in the cab of the loader.  There were two 12 volt batteries in series for the 24 volt system.  A pickup truck with a high output alternator was being used to charge each of the 12 volt batteries independently to get the system going again.  One of the jumper cables slipped off it's terminal and ignited the hydrogen in the cab and a battery exploded.  It burnt the back of a coat of the loader operator was wearing completely off and caught the battery compartment on fire, melting the batteries.   When I got there they were pretty much a sparking, smoldering heap.  A good portion of the cab had the paint eaten off it from the sulphuric acid that was blown about.  The operator was lucky his back was to the explosion when it happened.

      Although this is a very rare occasion, it is something I think about when using regular lead acid batteries.  Currently, I am no longer using anything but sealed lead acid batteries in the shack.

      If one is very careful and does not hard charge a regular lead acid battery it is probably OK to use until a sealed one can be found.

      I like answering your questions and I don't want you or anyone else to get hurt or loose anything in a fire.

      Oh and Hank,

      What happens at Field Day stays at Field Day ;)

      Good observation.

      Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 5:34 PM
      Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Re: on hand

      Typically, unless the battery is in an enclosed space, with no
      ventilation, the amount of hydrogen generated will dissipate in the
      atmospher with no ill effects. If you put it in a closed closet, with
      no ventilation, and then switch on a light after it has been charging
      for several weeks, you might get an explosion.

      BTW, if the storage batteries were being charged from AC Mains the
      operation was NOT considered battery powered per Field Day rules.

      73 de n8xx Hg

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2006
        "BTW, if the storage batteries were being charged from AC Mains the
        operation was NOT considered battery powered per Field Day rules."

        I am pretty sure the generator was powering the chargers.  I couldn't make it but I helped W8AMZ with some of the generator and power drop planning.  It's pretty likely that the only battery being charged off the AC mains at the park was for the cordless electric knife used for slicing the....ham. :)

        73 de k8mhz

        Typically, unless the battery is in an enclosed space, with no
        ventilation, the amount of hydrogen generated will dissipate in the
        atmospher with no ill effects. If you put it in a closed closet, with
        no ventilation, and then switch on a light after it has been charging
        for several weeks, you might get an explosion.

        BTW, if the storage batteries were being charged from AC Mains the
        operation was NOT considered battery powered per Field Day rules.

        73 de n8xx Hg

        --- In WestMichiganHams@ yahoogroups. com, "kd8cbj" <KD8CBJ@...> wrote:

        > Saw "car"batteries on trickle chargers running field day ops. In
        > doors safety?? Charging gas from (maintenance free)battery? ? On
        > hand I have new lawn tractor battery main.free can I use it in
        > the lab/shack??
        >
        > Will this guy ever stop asking questions? 73KD8CBJ

      • Andrew Young
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2006
          We (NOARC) ran a variety of batteries that were charged strictly with solar panels.  We did use the AC grid for some of our computers because connecting them to the same power supply (battery and inverter) was causing noise in our rigs.

          We did not run QRP and had plenty of power for all weekend.

          Who was the unfortunate ham that got sliced?  I hope he/she is recovering OK.

        • KD8CBJ@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 12, 2006
            Not trying to fit in the "rules"  yet   just getting starting knowledge of power options while waiting for my 2 ARRL books to arrive,and again thank you.

                                                                                                73 KD8CBJ
          • Jon Plyler
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 13, 2006
              I was going to say the comments about slicing ham were in poor taste... but then we are such quality hams... with good taste...
              Jon AB8RD

              Andrew Young <ayoung@...> wrote:
              We (NOARC) ran a variety of batteries that were charged strictly with solar panels.  We did use the AC grid for some of our computers because connecting them to the same power supply (battery and inverter) was causing noise in our rigs.

              We did not run QRP and had plenty of power for all weekend.

              Who was the unfortunate ham that got sliced?  I hope he/she is recovering OK.

              Typically, unless the battery is in an enclosed space, with no
              ventilation, the amount of hydrogen generated will dissipate in the
              atmospher with no ill effects. If you put it in a closed closet, with
              no ventilation, and then switch on a light after it has been charging
              for several weeks, you might get an explosion.

              BTW, if the storage batteries were being charged from AC Mains the
              operation was NOT considered battery powered per Field Day rules.

              73 de n8xx Hg

              --- In WestMichiganHams@ yahoogroups. com, "kd8cbj" <KD8CBJ@...> wrote:

              > Saw "car"batteries on trickle chargers running field day ops. In
              > doors safety?? Charging gas from (maintenance free)battery? ? On
              > hand I have new lawn tractor battery main.free can I use it in
              > the lab/shack??
              >
              > Will this guy ever stop asking questions? 73KD8CBJ

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2006
                Not to mention we are on the cutting edge of technology....