Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: ARRL Letter

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2006

      Hello Skip,

      Duplicate e-mail is not Spam.  The actual definition of spam is UCE or unsolicited commercial e-mail.  Forwarding the ARRL newsletter does not consititute commercial e-mail.

      I really don't know the ARRL's view on forwarding their newsletter but I think that their preference should be in the forefront.  They may wish to have all hams read it, or they may not.  But it is their copyrights that we need to consider.

      Just how hard do you work to find the delete button?  Sorry, that little tidbit made me chuckle.

      I fear it's a moot point.  Tom probably won't continue the practice here, but I hope he does on MCARES.  I think that the statement that the lives of many would be simpler if Tom stopped forwarding the ARRL newsletter is a bit of an embelishment.  Tom did so as a service to the hams and we need to look at his intent.  I personally thank him for doing it as long as he did.

      I don't know how the other moderators feel but if anyone wants to post the ARRL newsletter here I certainly have no problem with it.

      I would hope that the ARRL members would see this as an opportunity to entice hams to join.  The newsletter outlines many things and much of that is the work the ARRL does to help the hobby.  For the record, I am not an ARRL member.  I don't have to be a member to want to know what they are up to.  I am under the impression that they are proud of their work and would like all hams to know about it.

      Keeping the newsletter here is a better means of getting more ARRL members than not having it.

      And I do not hate it when there are dissenting voices.  It helps see other points of views.

      Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 4:47 PM
      Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: ARRL Letter

      Sorry Hank, Mark, (et al) who prefer to put Tom to work forwarding the newsletter.
      Great concept Tom has to whet our whistle for the material,
      BUT
      I agree with Tom [perhaps for a different reason]...

      Tom has duplicated the letter in my mailbox - therefore it is SPAM from a trusted source.
      No filter works for that circumstance - so far.
      Tom works hard to get it to me - I work hard finding the delete button.
      My life, Tom's, and potentially many others, would be simpler if Tom retired the practice of forwarding.
      Unless of course he has editorial comment - then cut-and-paste works like a dream.

      For those who want to see the letter like I do - do like I do / subscribe directly.
      It gets here earlier, the service is free, and it promotes ham radio.
      And the good news - you only get it once...
      There is no down side.

      Not a member?  Join.
      To promote ham radio by reading the letter while not a member of the publishing group is an oxymoron.
      When you find an ARRL issue to bitch about, you get heard just a little better as a member...

      Don't you hate it when there is this dissenting voice out there?

      On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 17:53 +0000, Hank Greeb wrote:

      I 2nd the sediment that says we should post the ARRL letter, etc.,
      here on the reflector. Lettuce promote the ham radio institution
      which has fought for our frequencies since 1914. Without it we
      wouldn't have the amateur radio service.

      73 de n8xx Hg

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, <k8mhz@...> wrote:

      > "Is it really necessary to post it on here?"
      >
      > Referring to the ARRL newsletter please remember that only a
      minority of hams are ARRL members (30 percent of active hams or
      something like that). The others would possibly like to see it. I
      encourage Tom to post it here as long as he wishes and as long the
      ARRL does not have a problem with it.

      > 73,
      >
      > Mark K8MHZ

      73