RE: [WestMichiganHams] Re: Crossbanders

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
      Hi Laryn,

      These issues are minor in the eyes of the FCC and I have not heard of any complaints...but if we can be completely legal we should try.

      First, transmitting to a repeater is not the same as controlling it.  All stations must have a licensed control operator.  That means there must be some way to turn off the repeater if it is causing interference and quickly.  With the Kenwoods the crossbanders not only can be turned on an off from an HT (remote control) but frequencies and tones, etc., can be changed.  As far as I know, other brands require the control operator to be in front of the cross bander in order to control it.

      Also, with the exception of digital vs. phone, band plans are not part of FCC law, they are voluntary agreements meant to reduce interference between stations.

      If you have questions about FCC law and want answers that will hold up in court, drop an email to fccham@....  It may take some time, usually a few days, but you will get an answer.  It helps to have a section number to ask about.

      The two most discussed issues about cross banding are the location of the control operator and the ability for the repeater to ID itself.  I know of only one brand that makes it possible to comply without major modifications and that is...argggh, Kenwood.