Phonetics in a Contest

  • Bill Fries
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      All:

      There has been a little behind the scenes chatter on the use of
      phonetics in a contest. Specifically the question of the questionable
      use of Zipper Half Open at club radio events. While I recognize that
      everyone has a certain tolerance we also must cooperate and help
      everyone enjoy the hobby.

      The first time I heard this phonetic butchering of the club's call sign
      I was just saddened. There are many zippers in our world but the sorry
      ones immediately and tragically come to mind when this phrase is
      uttered. It may reflect poorly on the club and the operator using this
      phrase.

      Imagine a twist on the scenario where the GOTA shack is soliciting
      contacts in the Field Day setting. The call sign is Alpha Bravo Eight
      Sugar Charlie. It is changed to America Baker Eight Sex Change. This
      brought the problems home to roost in a personal way. Funny? Stupid?
      Sad? A good image? I'm wondering.

      My two cents.

      Bill
      AB8 Slow Code

      By the way, I use Slow Code with pride and with the fond memory of Bob,
      K8IUI SK who first suggested, in jest, these phonetics. RIP friend
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        Bill,

        As you know, I am in favor of sticking with standard phonetics.  Tom W8AMZ and I discussed this at length.  It's much different if you are talking to a friend who already knows your call and you use a phrase like "Slow Code".  First and foremost, it's your own call.  Second, the phrase is not a means to clarify, but to entertain.

        Quite contrary to using, indeed butchering, the call sign of the MAARC that represents so many fine people.  My feelings are a person using the call of W8ZHO is a guest and should treat the call with respect.

        I had a HUGE problem with "Zipper Half Open" being used at all, and FD was probably the worst place to do it.  FD was used to promote ham radio to middle school aged kids all over the country.  When I heard the call used it was about 6 or 7 pm Saturday on the West Coast, about 10 pm here.  Is this what we want kids to hear and relate the club to?

        Thank you Bill for posting this.