RE: Crossbanders

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
      Laryn,

      There is a feature (not in the manual except for the addendum) that allows
      the TMV7A to be controlled by an HT set up with the proper digital tones.
      All functions of the TMV7A can be controlled by an HT.  Kenwood touts this
      as part of their Skycommand (FCC denied the technology) controls and says
      that only Kenwood HTs can control Kenwood mobile rigs.  Well, I am hear to
      tell you that Yaesu HTs can control Kenwood mobile rigs, I have done it.
      When the system is set up properly, the control point becomes the HT set up
      to control the mobile radio.  The snag with cross banders is that the
      control operator has to be in reach of the controls...pretty hard when you
      are a half mile away on an HT.  No prob when the controls have been
      transferred to your HT!

      Also, they have a digital ID (optional) available so the radio can ID
      itself, the other FCC snag about using cross band repeaters.

      On top of that, when the rigs are set up right, it is very hard to tell that
      they are being used.  There is little change in audio quality and very
      little problems with hang time.

      I use mine often.  I think that cross banders are under utilized.

    • Laryn Lohman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
        Mark, further thoughts on the legality of crossbanding with radios
        other than the Kenwood you speak about.

        I don't think there is anything wrong with crossbanding (legally) if I
        am controlling (transmitting to) the crossbander on 222mc and above.
        This would be considered an Auxiliary station under the rules in
        97.201. Remote control of another Amateur station is allowed there.

        Having said that, we could discuss 97.205a:

        (a) Any amateur station licensed to a holder of a Technician, General,
        Advanced or Amateur Extra Class operator license may be a repeater. A
        holder of a Technician, General, Advanced or Amateur Extra Class
        operator license may be the control operator of a repeater, subject to
        the privileges of the class of operator license held.

        Maybe I'm over-simplifying, but as long as I stay in the legal
        repeater sub-bands with my crossbanding radio and associated handheld,
        I'm OK. Being careful, I could pick a clear repeater sub-band
        frequency and operate, no?

        Laryn K8TVZ
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
          Hi Laryn,

          These issues are minor in the eyes of the FCC and I have not heard of any complaints...but if we can be completely legal we should try.

          First, transmitting to a repeater is not the same as controlling it.  All stations must have a licensed control operator.  That means there must be some way to turn off the repeater if it is causing interference and quickly.  With the Kenwoods the crossbanders not only can be turned on an off from an HT (remote control) but frequencies and tones, etc., can be changed.  As far as I know, other brands require the control operator to be in front of the cross bander in order to control it.

          Also, with the exception of digital vs. phone, band plans are not part of FCC law, they are voluntary agreements meant to reduce interference between stations.

          If you have questions about FCC law and want answers that will hold up in court, drop an email to fccham@....  It may take some time, usually a few days, but you will get an answer.  It helps to have a section number to ask about.

          The two most discussed issues about cross banding are the location of the control operator and the ability for the repeater to ID itself.  I know of only one brand that makes it possible to comply without major modifications and that is...argggh, Kenwood.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/