Muskegon now transmitting SAME radio alerts via 147.485

  • K8MHZ
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
      Jim K8COP has installed a Specific Area Message Encoding receiver which re-transmits via 147.485.

      Area encoding allows weather radios to be manufactured in a way that they can be set up to only transmit when a specific county is affected by the nature of the transmission.  Specific Area Message Encoding, or SAME, requires special radios to filter out NOAA transmissions that are continuously ongoing and passing only traffic relevant to a specific county.  Monitoring 147.585 does not.  For SAME alerts for Muskegon County simply programming 147.485 into a scanner will work with no transmissions until Muskegon County is affected.  SAME is not just for weather alerts but for other emergencies such as evacuations or large scale emergencies.  The CTCSS tone of 141.3 will assure that other signals beside the NOAA re-transmission will be ignored by radios with the capability of doing so.  Radios such as scanners will still receive the SAME broadcasts but are susceptible to signals such as stations operating on the same frequency.

      To that effect it would be good operating procedure to not use 147.585 for communications if there are other frequencies available.

      Please read his post to the MCARES group, below, for more information.

      I think Jim deserves some thanks for the addition of this cool feature to the area.

      Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:31 AM
      Subject: [MCARES] NOAA Alert Radio System

      For both groups information a NOAA Alert Receiver/Transmitter has been installed in Muskegon.  The radio trips a transmitter that is on 147.585 Mhz  (141.3 Hz CTCSS), and retransmits the audio from the NOAA Weather transmitter on 162.475 Mhz in Hesperia.

      The only time you will hear radio traffic from this frequency is when their is a weather alert for Muskegon County, or the weekly radio test on Wed between 11:00 AM-12 Noon.

      I would suggest that if you plan on monitoring this frequency to program up your scanner or HT on that frequency and monitor the test on Wed to see what your reception quality is before the next Skywarn event.
      The greater Muskegon area should have no problem with receiving it, my concern is the outlying areas of the county.

      Jim Duram, K8COP
      Muskegon Co EC/RO

      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
    • Andrew Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2006
        Yeah- Thanks, Jim.  I will see if this will be useful where I work (Perrigo).  It's difficult to receive the WX stations in Montague with an indoor antenna.

        Andrew