Re: [WestMichiganHams] tune up?

  • K8MHZ
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2006
      Paul,

      What type of radio is it?

      If it is a solid state rig and works OK I would not do anything but check the TX and RX frequencies.  If they are OK or very close it is best not to fix what ain't broke.

      Now if it is a tube type HT that may be different ;)

      Do you have an owner's manual for the radio?  What suggestions are made there?

      Film camera and HT maintanence are not easily compared.  Your camera relied on many moving parts with very close tolerances and (Oh the Humanity!) springs.  It needed to be checked and tweaked on a regular basis.  Not so for a solid state radio.  If the radio is working well chances are 'fixing' it may cause it not to anymore.  Also, for 99 bucks you can get a brand new 2 meter HT from Icom.  99 bucks usually gets an hour of bench time and a cup of coffee.  And you still end up with an old radio.

      One of the best HTs I have ever used was the RS HTX 202 'brick'.  We have one here that has outlasted dozens of batteries (take THAT Energizer Bunny!) so old is not necessarily bad.

      Have fun!

      Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:47 AM
      Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] tune up?

      I thought so,with cameras(real ones)it's called a C&C clean and calibrate.When your burning film for the front page is no time to find out you have a lazy shutter.Thank you.

                                                                                            73 KD8CBJ

      Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.