Reminder: 2013 ARS Flight of the Bumblebees is Tomorrow (Sunday)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2013
      Yep, I know, I know, this is getting redundant, and possibly boring to
      folks who don't operate CW QRP, but, the internet is abuzz (pun
      intended), with news of the "2013 Flight of the Bumblebees."

      At least three of us nuts.... errr, hardy souls, will be going out to
      either Fisk Knob Park or to the Fred Meijer White Pine Trail (depending
      on probability of precipitation at 11 a.m. tomorrow) and set up for this
      event. If you plan to come out, and have NOT provided contact
      information, please do so, because the last weather forecast was for 70%
      probability of rain tomorrow.

      Note, if the weather forecast is wrong, we WILL be at the highest point
      in Kent County, Michigan - namely Fisk Knob Park, 17533 Algoma Avenue,
      Cedar Springs, MI 49319. Be aware - there are NO facilities, except a
      shade tree and a parking lot on site. Nearest restroom facilities are
      about 1.5 miles away, either north or south. And, it could be windy,
      because of he high location, so you may wish to bring a windbreaker
      and/or light jacket.

      But, if it rains, or if the probability of rain remains high, we WILL
      transfer to the rest stop/picnic shelter along the White Pine Trail near
      4th and Lake Streets in Sand Lake. I'll call everyone who has provided
      contact info (cell phone or home phone) - sorry, my 2 meter FM rig is
      not functional right now).

      We encourage visitors, and/or ops who can operate ANY speed of CW.
      This is far from a "speed demon" contest. The average speed is probably
      between 10 and 15 WPM, and people WILL slow down to whatever speed in
      comfortable for you! So, come one, come all, and join the fray!

      Latest "blog" by the organizers of the FOBB follows:

      ============================
      Hooray! It's 2013 Flight of the Bumblebees Eve!

      The four-hour contest will kick off tomorrow (SUNDAY) at 1700 UTC. That
      is 1 p.m. Eastern; Noon Central; 11 a.m. Mountain; 10 a.m. Pacific; and
      7 a.m. Hawaii.

      The buzzing will be around the standard, non-WARC HF QRP calling
      frequencies.

      (These are 7030-7040 KHz, 7100-7125 KHz, 14060, 21060, 28060 KHz. -
      Ed)

      We're up to 160+ bumblebees and still taking requests for BB numbers
      from stations planning to operate FOBB from the field. Visit the ARS
      website for details:

      http://www.ARSqrp.blogspot.com

      As with all ARS events, please keep safety in front of mind when
      conducting operations in the field. Such things as weather, power lines,
      terrain, dehydration and fatigue can be lethal. Above all, we want all
      participants to have a fabulous and safe experience.

      Thanx!

      Richard Fisher, KI6SN
      The Adventure Radio Society
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2013
        On 7/27/2013 10:48 AM, Hank Greeb wrote:

        So, come one, come all, and join the fray!

        'Frayed not... But good luck !!!

        .