True Confession time

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      Mark:

      So, the "Hyper-Dog Four Ball Launcher" which is sold widely by Target, and several other sporting goods stores in the Grand Rapids area is illegal?  When I use it to launch a golf ball with a fish line attached to it over a tree, I'm performing an illegal act?

      When I used it to launch tennis balls so my daughter's golden retriever could have her exercise, I was likewise committing a crime?

      The device is a slingshot with a arm rest which doubles as a holder for four tennis balls, so one can launch four balls in fairly rapid succession.  I've had it for at least 5 or 6 years, used it in public places like parks, etc., with nary a complaint.

      Methinks there MUST be some "Reason" displayed by the local and state constabulary.  Otherwise Target and others would NOT be permitted to sell such devices, and/or fined for doing so.   And, local caretakers of the parks who saw me using the ball launcher were negligent in NOT throwing me in jail for owing such a dastardly and dangerous device..  Now that I know of the error of my ways, I shall hang my head in shame, and go out of my way to confess my crime to the nearest policeman at the very next opportunity..

      And, I suppose if one really want to be a nitpicker - the fellow at our field day, with a "spud gun" which he used to put a fish line over a 70' tree at field day was in violation of the same law?  His device is a compressed air powered ball launcher. And, that ARRL which printed directions for building such a device in QST several years ago violated the law?  Our affiliated club which allowed the use of such a device at our recent Field Day was negligent and/or accessory to a crime?

      If any of the above are actually illegal, then people in Lansing and those in local government positions much have nothing better to do than dream up ridiculous laws, which few even know about, and even the local and state police do not bother to enforce except when another crime is committed while using such devices.

      72/73 de n8xx Hg
      QRP >99.44% of the time

      On 7/21/2013 8:42 AM, "Mark" k8mhz@... wrote:
      750.224 Weapons; manufacture, sale, or possession as felony; violation as
      felony; penalty; exceptions; "muffler" or "silencer" defined.
      Sec. 224.
      <snip>
      (d) A blackjack, slungshot, billy, metallic knuckles, sand club, sand bag, or bludgeon.
      <snip>

    • heavyfistcharlie24
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013

        Uh oh, with your admissions, you've just given yourself away to the NSA watchers.  That sounds like one of those illegal, semi-automatic, assault slingshots!  Extended magazine even!  And if it is black plastic, that makes it even more dangerous.  Probably purchased it at a Slingshot Show with all the loopholes.  Surely the Black Helicopter drones will be circling your home and following you from now on....
        RUN!

        (Tongue in cheek)
        73,
        - Scott KD8FXF -