Morley site grounds maintenance, Friday, July 5

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2013
      The following is a LOWELL ARC event and responsibility, but anyone is
      certainly welcome.

      Morley receive site grounds maintenance.

      It's time once again for grounds maintenance at the 250ft commercial
      tower NE of Morley owned by T&W Electronics which, among other radio
      services, hosts the Lowell 145.27- (94.8Hz) Morley remote receiver
      144.67 MHz. And now includes the K8SN 442.075 (103.5Hz) repeater!
      I am informed a new building is in placing hosting the commercial
      services. The pre-existing “shed” is now ours where the amateur radio
      equipment remains.

      Part of OUR arrangement with T&W is upkeep of the grounds.

      Being the site is a mix of field and woods located in a rural area near
      Amish families, this can also double as camping trip.

      The main cleanup day will be Friday, July 5, day after Independence
      Day. Rain day is Saturday, July 6. Figure start around 10AM. Rolls and
      coffee will be provided in the morning, Burgers and beverages for
      lunch. The "better half" and kids are certainly welcome.

      There are no toilet facilities here, but I will have the rest room in
      my motorhome available. **It's not a problem, really!**

      I plan to arrive Thursday and not leave "until I'm ready to".
      Anyone else interested in a cheap non-crowded campsite is welcome.
      Electricity is available. Questions? E-mail jamelar@... or
      phone home: (616)438-5412 or cell: (616)438-1464. It’s best to call the
      “home” phone as it will be ported to Morley and connected to an outside
      roof antenna.

      On the cleanup agenda.
      LET’S REALLY GET TOGETHER THIS TIME AND FINISH THE CLEARING JOB!
      It is my understanding the East guy wire area has been plowed clear,
      but brush and logs need to be gathered and burned, then the area mowed.
      Then the future should be mowing and light trimming to keep it all
      clean.
      Mowing. The north an south guy wire areas are pretty well cleaned up
      and should just need mowing, maybe some trimming. Driveway and frontage
      need mowing.
      What to bring? If available, an extra mower (in case the one I bring
      breaks down, been there, done that) as well Extra chain saw a BIG plus.
      BUT MOST IMPORTANT, YOURSELF!

      HOW TO GET THERE?

      Use your preferred mapping program and input: 3800 155th Ave, Morley,
      MI 49336 Or follow the Google Maps with the links below.

      Directions from Grand Rapids via US-131 Expressway are simple. If you
      are arriving from Lowell, the "from Lowell" direction use paved county
      roads and is really the shortest, quickest way.

      FROM GRAND RAPIDS to Morley receive site.
      http://goo.gl/maps/acPpw
      Head north on US-131 expressway to Morley exit 125, Jefferson Rd.

      Turn right / east for 1 1/2 miles to Northland Dr. in the center of Morley.
      **Just before passing thru Morley, give a shout on the Lowell repeater
      to see if we need Ice or anything from a gas station / convenience
      store.**

      Jog left / north then right / east. Continue on Jefferson Rd for
      another 1 3/4 miles.

      Turn left / north on 155th Ave for 2 1/2 miles.

      Turn right in the drive and park. You will have spotted the tower well
      before you arrived.

      FROM LOWELL to Morley receive site
      http://goo.gl/maps/0BBL0

      Head north on Lincoln Lake Ave, for 20 miles, crossing Hwy M-44 and
      M-57 along the way.

      Turn left / west on 18 Mile Rd., toward Cedar Springs, for 1 mile.

      Turn right / north on Meddler Ave for 4 miles. Meddler ends at 22 Mile Rd.

      Turn left / west on 22 Mile Rd for 1/2 mile. 22 Mile Rd borders Kent
      and Montcalm Counties.

      Turn right / north on Amble Rd, entering Montcalm County, for 2 miles.

      Turn left / west on Briggs Rd for 1 mile.

      Turn right / north on Bailey Rd for 4 1/2 miles, passing through the
      village of Coral.
      **Just before passing thru Coral, give a shout on the Lowell repeater
      to see if we need Ice or anything from the gas station / convenience
      store.**

      Turn right / east on Church Rd for 1 mile.

      Turn left / north on Amble Rd for 7 1/2 miles. **If Amble Rd were a
      thru street, I would not have routed you thru Coral!** You will cross
      Hwy M-46 along the way. Past M-46, you will enter Mecosta County where
      Amble Rd becomes 150th Ave.

      Turn left / west on Jefferson Rd for 1/2 mile.

      Turn right / north on 155th Ave for 2 1/2 miles.