RE: [WestMichiganHams] N8SUB on Armed Forces Day

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 16 , May 13, 2013
      I just called the museum and the lady said they will be starting the sub on
      Memorial Day weekend, not Armed Forces Day like I thought. She didn't have
      an exact schedule as it is done by a group of sub-mariners not from here.
      She will be e-mailing me the schedule when she gets it and I will put it up
      here. FWIW, the engines are started every year on Memorial Day weekend.
      Check the link below about the engines, a very rare configuration.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_Diesel_Engine

      She also told me the museum got a new display, a radio from WWII.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 13, 2013
        Was not able to get the shaft horsepower rating at "X" RPM of these beasts. Bets are its a heap o' horses tho….

        Message 3 of 16 , May 13, 2013
          Only cw? No phone?

          ====================== K8JHR ===================

          Message 4 of 16 , May 13, 2013
            If they are the same as today's 38 8 1/8s they put out 3,222 hp @ 900/1000
            rpm and weigh over 73,000 lbs. Dry.

            http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engines/opposed-piston-model-38/

            You will have to do math. The power is rated in kilowatts.

            Was not able to get the shaft horsepower rating at "X" RPM of these
            beasts. Bets are its a heap o' horses tho....

            On May 13, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Mark <k8mhz@...> wrote:

            > I just called the museum and the lady said they will be starting the sub
            on
            > Memorial Day weekend, not Armed Forces Day like I thought. She didn't
            have
            > an exact schedule as it is done by a group of sub-mariners not from here.
            > She will be e-mailing me the schedule when she gets it and I will put it
            up
            > here. FWIW, the engines are started every year on Memorial Day weekend.
            > Check the link below about the engines, a very rare configuration.
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_Diesel_Engine
            >
            > She also told me the museum got a new display, a radio from WWII.
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Mark K8MHZ

          • ko8zed
            Message 5 of 16 , May 14, 2013
              Mark in the past when they start the engines, they normally don't have anyone else on board for liability reasons. They start the engines every year at this time in may.

              Kirk / KO8Z
              K0ley told me they will be starting the engine on the sub on Saturday the 18 th .   I was wondering if the radio room would be operating then.

              Thanks,

              Mark K8MHZ

              Yes the USS Silversides will be on the air / N8SUB 15 / 20m CW
              o you guys know if anyone is activating the sub for Museum Ships Weekend?

              ==================== JHR ================================

              On 5/12/2013 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:
              > Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed
              > Forces Day?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Mark K8MHZ

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 16 , May 14, 2013
              • Jason Blakley
                Message 7 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                  Ok, so is it confirmed that they will be fired up on the 18th? If so, anybody have any idea what time roughly?

                  --
                  Jason
                  _._   ..   ...._   ..._   .._   _ _ _

                  Sent from my iPod

                  On May 14, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Mark <k8mhz@...> wrote:

                  Thanks, Kirk

                  I still will be down there just to hear it.

                  Mark in the past when they start the engines, they normally don't have anyone else on board for liability reasons. They start the engines every year at this time in may.

                  Kirk / KO8Z
                  K0ley told me they will be starting the engine on the sub on Saturday the 18 th .   I was wondering if the radio room would be operating then.

                  Thanks,

                  Mark K8MHZ

                  Yes the USS Silversides will be on the air / N8SUB 15 / 20m CW
                  o you guys know if anyone is activating the sub for Museum Ships Weekend?

                  ==================== JHR ================================

                  On 5/12/2013 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:
                  > Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed
                  > Forces Day?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Mark K8MHZ

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                  • Al Pepping
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                      If you figure 50 percent efficiency , two engines will create equivalent of 4.2 megawatts of power. BTUs required to produce that quantity of power equals out to rougly 56 gallons/hr of kerosene, no losses figured in. Rough guess it takes 100 gallons of kerosene per hour to keep both engines running at full output. . I dont think they will be running those engines for an extended period of time for the Memorial Day test..
                      .. thats a lotta dead dinosaurs KV8X

                    • ko8zed
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 15, 2013
                        Al they run them for about 5 minutes (lot's of smoke !)