N8SUB on Armed Forces Day

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 16 , May 12, 2013

      Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed Forces Day?

      Thanks,

      Mark K8MHZ

    • Al
      Message 2 of 16 , May 12, 2013
        The radio test was yesterday Mark.  They moved the radio test up a week from the actual Armed Forces Day because the actual date conflicted with Dayton.  I managed to work 9 of the 20 military stations this year cross band
              I was not able to snag Hawaii or Okinawa bands were not open at all to the west.  Also I could not copy the message from the Secretary of Defense, over the horizon radar was horrendously loud...alas the woodpecker is back.   But can try again today, there is still one Air Force Mars station sending the message this evening.   ARRL website has the link posted to the MARS website listing the times.......

        From KV8X........

        Message 3 of 16 , May 12, 2013
          o you guys know if anyone is activating the sub for Museum Ships Weekend?

          ==================== JHR ================================

          On 5/12/2013 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:
          > Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed
          > Forces Day?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mark K8MHZ

        • ko8zed
          Message 4 of 16 , May 13, 2013
            Yes the USS Silversides will be on the air / N8SUB 15 / 20m CW
            o you guys know if anyone is activating the sub for Museum Ships Weekend?

            ==================== JHR ================================

            On 5/12/2013 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:
            > Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed
            > Forces Day?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mark K8MHZ

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 16 , May 13, 2013
            • Al Pepping
              Message 6 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                Wow that would be way cool.!!!!!! I wonder how long its been since those monsters have been run???? I checked on the SIlversides Web site but didn't see any mention of engines or radio for that matter. It would be nice to have s section of the web site that had a photo of the radio room, etc. I acquired a portion of an SK estate from Niles Mi last year. Dr. Donald Camp was his name, he taught electronics for the Navy in the training center in IL during the war, and after the war, went to U of M and got his medical degree and practiced in NIles until he became a SK early last year. I helped the family dispose of the radio gear but much of it I still have and can't get rid of it. Don was an avid CW/AM man and home built nearly everything. One of the pieces of the gear that I am attempting to get on the LST is a 1939 Hammarlund Super Pro receiver..IT still works !!, but is a true boat anchor, and has a seperate PS that also weighs a ton. This model also has the 200 to 400 Mc longwave coverage, quite rare these days. I also have literally a ton of other heavy mod iron equipment. Problem is, Don built everything from memory and I have no schematics for any of his gear. No idea of what frequency coverage etc. ALso very classified military training books, now declassed of course but radio items that belong on the LST.

                I'll see what I can find out Mark, this is very cool stuff about the sub. I can't do subs, due to the confined spaces, makes me twitch funny, but I like the LST. talk about the perfect ground plane for a vertical antenna, and enought height to put up a tri band !!!! the ships span allows for a full length 160 meter dipole !!!! Well enough hand exercise for the morning, geting better after the surgery, but still got a ways to go………..or later….have a great day….KV8X

                On May 13, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Mark <k8mhz@...> wrote:

                > K0ley told me they will be starting the engine on the sub on Saturday the 18th. I was wondering if the radio room would be operating then.
                >

                > Thanks,
                >

                > Mark K8MHZ

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                  I just called the museum and the lady said they will be starting the sub on
                  Memorial Day weekend, not Armed Forces Day like I thought. She didn't have
                  an exact schedule as it is done by a group of sub-mariners not from here.
                  She will be e-mailing me the schedule when she gets it and I will put it up
                  here. FWIW, the engines are started every year on Memorial Day weekend.
                  Check the link below about the engines, a very rare configuration.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_Diesel_Engine

                  She also told me the museum got a new display, a radio from WWII.

                  Wow that would be way cool.!!!!!! I wonder how long its been since those
                  monsters have been run???? I checked on the SIlversides Web site but
                  didn't see any mention of engines or radio for that matter. It would be
                  nice to have s section of the web site that had a photo of the radio room,
                  etc. I acquired a portion of an SK estate from Niles Mi last year. Dr.
                  Donald Camp was his name, he taught electronics for the Navy in the training
                  center in IL during the war, and after the war, went to U of M and got his
                  medical degree and practiced in NIles until he became a SK early last year.
                  I helped the family dispose of the radio gear but much of it I still have
                  and can't get rid of it. Don was an avid CW/AM man and home built nearly
                  everything. One of the pieces of the gear that I am attempting to get on
                  the LST is a 1939 Hammarlund Super Pro receiver..IT still works !!, but is a
                  true boat anchor, and has a seperate PS that also weighs a ton. This model
                  also has the 200 to 400 Mc longwave coverage, quite rare these days. I also
                  have literally a ton of other heavy mod iron equipment. Problem is, Don
                  built everything from memory and I have no schematics for any of his gear.
                  No idea of what frequency coverage etc. ALso very classified military
                  training books, now declassed of course but radio items that belong on the
                  LST.

                  I'll see what I can find out Mark, this is very cool stuff about the sub. I
                  can't do subs, due to the confined spaces, makes me twitch funny, but I like
                  the LST. talk about the perfect ground plane for a vertical antenna, and
                  enought height to put up a tri band !!!! the ships span allows for a full
                  length 160 meter dipole !!!! Well enough hand exercise for the morning,
                  geting better after the surgery, but still got a ways to go...........or
                  later....have a great day....KV8X

                  On May 13, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Mark <k8mhz@...> wrote:

                  > K0ley told me they will be starting the engine on the sub on Saturday the
                  18th. I was wondering if the radio room would be operating then.

                  > Thanks,
                  >

                  > Mark K8MHZ

                • Al Pepping
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                    Was not able to get the shaft horsepower rating at "X" RPM of these beasts. Bets are its a heap o' horses tho….

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                      Only cw? No phone?

                      ====================== K8JHR ===================

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                        If they are the same as today's 38 8 1/8s they put out 3,222 hp @ 900/1000
                        rpm and weigh over 73,000 lbs. Dry.

                        http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engines/opposed-piston-model-38/

                        You will have to do math. The power is rated in kilowatts.

                        Was not able to get the shaft horsepower rating at "X" RPM of these
                        beasts. Bets are its a heap o' horses tho....

                        On May 13, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Mark <k8mhz@...> wrote:

                        > I just called the museum and the lady said they will be starting the sub
                        on
                        > Memorial Day weekend, not Armed Forces Day like I thought. She didn't
                        have
                        > an exact schedule as it is done by a group of sub-mariners not from here.
                        > She will be e-mailing me the schedule when she gets it and I will put it
                        up
                        > here. FWIW, the engines are started every year on Memorial Day weekend.
                        > Check the link below about the engines, a very rare configuration.
                        >
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_Diesel_Engine
                        >
                        > She also told me the museum got a new display, a radio from WWII.
                        >
                        > 73
                        >
                        > Mark K8MHZ

                      • ko8zed
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                          Mark in the past when they start the engines, they normally don't have anyone else on board for liability reasons. They start the engines every year at this time in may.

                          Kirk / KO8Z
                          K0ley told me they will be starting the engine on the sub on Saturday the 18 th .   I was wondering if the radio room would be operating then.

                          Thanks,

                          Mark K8MHZ

                          Yes the USS Silversides will be on the air / N8SUB 15 / 20m CW
                          o you guys know if anyone is activating the sub for Museum Ships Weekend?

                          ==================== JHR ================================

                          On 5/12/2013 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:
                          > Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed
                          > Forces Day?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Mark K8MHZ

                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                          • Jason Blakley
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                              Ok, so is it confirmed that they will be fired up on the 18th? If so, anybody have any idea what time roughly?

                              --
                              Jason
                              _._   ..   ...._   ..._   .._   _ _ _

                              Sent from my iPod

                              On May 14, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Mark <k8mhz@...> wrote:

                              Thanks, Kirk

                              I still will be down there just to hear it.

                              Mark in the past when they start the engines, they normally don't have anyone else on board for liability reasons. They start the engines every year at this time in may.

                              Kirk / KO8Z
                              K0ley told me they will be starting the engine on the sub on Saturday the 18 th .   I was wondering if the radio room would be operating then.

                              Thanks,

                              Mark K8MHZ

                              Yes the USS Silversides will be on the air / N8SUB 15 / 20m CW
                              o you guys know if anyone is activating the sub for Museum Ships Weekend?

                              ==================== JHR ================================

                              On 5/12/2013 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:
                              > Does anyone know if N8SUB or the others will be on the air during Armed
                              > Forces Day?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Mark K8MHZ

                            • Mark
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                              • Al Pepping
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 14, 2013
                                  If you figure 50 percent efficiency , two engines will create equivalent of 4.2 megawatts of power. BTUs required to produce that quantity of power equals out to rougly 56 gallons/hr of kerosene, no losses figured in. Rough guess it takes 100 gallons of kerosene per hour to keep both engines running at full output. . I dont think they will be running those engines for an extended period of time for the Memorial Day test..
                                  .. thats a lotta dead dinosaurs KV8X

                                • ko8zed
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 15, 2013
                                    Al they run them for about 5 minutes (lot's of smoke !)