Tulip Time Parade Medical Communications Signup..

  • K8TB
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2013
      Five weeks from today, Tulip Time 2013 will be history. With that in mind, there is a need to continue to sign up for Tulip Time parades communications.

      The Ottawa County Red Cross, under Mike Mitchell and Duane Rotman, will be coordinating the amateur radio volunteers for the parades.  There will be the usual Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday parades (May 8, 9 and 11 respectively). Amateur radio communicator volunteers will be paired with a Red Cross medical volunteer for each event.

      Two items of note:  the first is that to be an amateur radio communicator volunteer under these events, you must be credentialed. This means going through the Red Cross or Ottawa County Emergency Management to have your background checked. The other is that as opposed to the requirement from the Tulip Time Committee to sign a waiver of liability, this amateur radio communicator volunteering does not require you to sign that waiver. There is no cost to you, the volunteer, to be credentialed. The credentialing should be valid for three to four years.

      In the past, it has been asked why there cannot be a common database of who is credentialed. Both the Ottawa Red Cross and Ottawa County Emergency Management will be keeping me informed as to who is credentialed with their organization. This compiled information will then be shared back to both agencies. If you are cleared with either, you are all set for the parade and future communication activities.

      If you would like to volunteer for any of these three parades, please email me directly, and I can check to see if you are already credentialed. If you are not, I will email you simple instructions on how to get a credential check with with either the Red Cross or Ottawa County Emergency Management.

      Tom Bosscher K8TB k8tb@...