ARRL January VHF Contest is ON This Weekend

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2013
      1pm Saturday until 10pm Sunday/central and 2pm Sat. until 10pm Sun./eastern.

      ARRL has created 2 new categories in the VHF Contests that apply directly to you.
      Nearly every ham has some sort of gear for 2m and/or 6m, 1.25m and 70cm. So get on the air and hear what you've been missing.
      A VHF Contest is one time where you will hear activity, often from stations you haven't heard before.

      Here are the new categories, direct from ARRL's website. Some of you could win wallpaper with even a modest effort! Do your ham clubs and buddies know about these new categories?
      " 3.1.4. 3-Band (6m, 2m & 432 MHz only; 100 W or less on 6m/2m, 50 W or less on 432 MHz.)
      3.1.5. FM Only (6m-446 MHz, 100 W or less on all bands)"
      Link to the full rules: http://www.arrl.org/january-vhf

      I've been VHF contesting since 2003 and frankly, we need a lot of new voices. ARRL has never made the playing field so level. Turn on your rigs this weekend.
      No idea how a VHF contest works? Don't know where to start? I didn't either, 10 years ago. Do 2 things this weekend — 1) At least listen in on the activity, and get a feel for it. 2) Read my series of articles called VHF Contesting School. They are broken down into bite-sized pieces and are available here: http://kc9bqa.com/?p=5931 You are welcome to share any/all of this info with hams everywhere.
      Everything you want to know about this contest is here — visit the Jan 3rd and 4th posts or click on these links — http://kc9bqa.com/?p=6554 and http://kc9bqa.com/?p=6564
      Plus, I've updated kc9bqa.com this morning and will be updating as the contest moves along.

      Frequencies for FM'ers:
      52.525, 146.550, 146.580, 146.490 (spread out if it gets busy); 223.500 and 446.000. Know your callsign and grid square – that's it. Don't know your grid square? Type your home address into this handy utility: http://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php

      Frequencies on SSB/CW:
      50.125 up to about 50.175, unless the band goes open with E skip. Then you may need to spread out above 50.200.
      144.200 is call freq on 2m SSB. You can use it, but don't overuse it. No ragchews there, please. Also tune up and down between about 144.150 and 144.250. Contesters should spread out and not all congregate on one or two channels.
      222.100 is call freq. on 1.25m, SSB. Not as much activity there, but it's a great band.
      432.100 is call freq. on 70cm, SSB. Might find activity between roughly 432.070-432.130.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates