RE: [WestMichiganHams] Reminder: Armageddon Net Exercise Dec. 29th (Saturday) 10:00 am.

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1, 2013

      Happy New Year, Jim!

      Most advice about ham radio practice centers around the 'just spin the knob' paradigm.  Or, basically ignore it.

      The Internet allows us to do both, spin the knob when we don't like what is going on, and also voice our concerns to other hams off the air.

      There is a problem with that.  People get brave behind the keyboard and many of them simply toss etiquette out the window.  We have to remember to remain as emotionally neutral as possible, but still keep the opinion intact.

      Many times, it's not what people say, but how they say it.

      ----Break----

      Here is some more info on the '52.  First, you have to remember that I started looking for info on the '52 freq. to support a stance just like the one you have now.  Well, as you see, I haven't had much luck.   I just looked at a 1995 ARRL repeater directory.  144.200 is listed as the national calling frequency.  146.52 is listed simply as the "national simplex frequency".  The word 'calling' is not present.

      I don't know if the new versions are different.  If they are, then the change occurred sometime after 1995.  I found an old (2006) discussion on QRZ about it and from the banter there, the ARRL had already added the 'calling' thing at that point.  It is currently listed on arrl.org as 'national simplex calling frequency'.

      Now, I hate politics and I am not into ARRL bashing or anything of the like, so I tend to look at things mathematically.

      The ARRL consists of a very small minority of licensed operators and the upper echelon of that organization has already admitted they exist for self-preservation (and I understand this) and not necessarily to represent the entire membership, nor hams in general.  And realize, if they did not make self preservation a major concern, they would have been gone long ago.  It is a strategy that simply has to be.

      There are a large number of licensed, active hams that don't really agree with the ARRL and prefer to follow the FCC's rules instead.  Who are we to say that they can't or that following the ARRL's rules is a requirement for 'good operating practice'?

      Considering that the FCC indeed does require good operating practices (97.101), their opinion on the use of 146.52 must reflect that.   So....here it is:

      "NEWINGTON, CT, Oct 23, 2002--FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth has told five amateurs in Ohio and Michigan to disregard his earlier admonition to avoid lengthy QSOs on 146.52 MHz. Acknowledging that some confusion (sic!) exists within the amateur community as to whether 146.52 is a national calling channel or just another simplex frequency, Hollingsworth decided to simply rescind the five advisory notices he'd sent October 15.

      "We made an error in issuing that Advisory Notice, and you may disregard it," Hollingsworth wrote today in letters sent to each of the affected amateurs. Commenting to ARRL, Hollingsworth was blunt yet good-natured. "I goofed," he said. "If I were worried about making a fool of myself from time to time, I never would have become a lawyer in the first place." "

      I think this is a good place to pause.  :)

      Oh, my New Year's resolution is to get some antennas, especially my 2m/440 one outside.  Then I could actually listen to 146.52 and see (hear) what I am missing.

      Yes. No doubt no one is operating illegally...
      just operating so as to defeat notion of a calling
      frequency. The fact they call it such gives it
      meaning. Otherwise it is just another simplex
      channel.

      Perhaps there are not enough hams willing
      to stand by the practice to support and
      maintain it. Like so many things in our
      socio-political environment, few are willing
      to stand up and speak out - they just go
      with the flow, and while that is their choice,
      it is not mine. Silly me... I speak my mind!
      ;-) The XYL thinks I will get shot for that
      someday ... ;-)

      GOOD QUESTIONS-- GOOD DISCUSSION HERE.

      I APPEARS I MAY BE OUT-VOTED ON THE ISSUE... ;-)

      HAPPY DAYS AND HAPPY HOLIDAY, MARK.

      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1, 2013
        Good Post, Mark -- a lot of buckshot in that one little shell!

        Happy days.

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 1, 2013

          Thanks Jim,

          Really, not much, if any of the info is mine, personally.  I found it on the 'Net and just passed it on in somewhat of a condensed version.