Re: [WestMichiganHams] What's all the fuss about 146.52 MHz, anyway?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      Back in the ancient daze, just after we gave up Sp*rk Gaps for transmitters, and coherer's for detectors, a bunch of us got "low band" VHF radios (those with the glass things which "light up" when current was applied - does anyone else remember those gadgets), and converted them to 53.05 MHz simpleplex Funny Modulation.  This was down in Cincinnati.   We had over 50 on frequency, and the frequency was in use much of the day, and sometimes even into the wee hours of the morning.

      Anyone who needed help, or who wanted to contact their home base, etc., could break in, everyone else would stand by, and let the "real information" pass.   After the "real business" was finished, the "usual" drivel would continue.

      Folks who don't have tolerance for legal operation on 146.52 MHz should read part 97 and/or other parts of the FCC rules.  It is perfectly legal to drone on and on, forever, 24/7 on 146.52 or any other frequency, as long as ID every 10 minutes.  And, there SHOULD be short "breaks" during ID time, so that another edgewise word can get his/or her operator in.   If someone says "Emergency" or "Priority" or even "Breaker channel 52, come back"between breaks, then the "drivel" should stop, the  the "real" communications take precedence, and then the "drivel" may continue.

      If you don't like this legal form of communication, perhaps you're in the wrong hobby/service.

      72/73 de n8xx Hg
      QRP >99.44% of the time

      p.s. I use 2 meter Funny Modulation from time to time, but haven't had a rig permanently mounted in my automobubble for at least 7 years, the age of my current vehicle.