RE: [WestMichiganHams] Reminder: Armageddon Net Exercise Dec. 29th (Saturday) 10:00 am.

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012

      That wasn't an anonymous post.  He just didn't sign it.

      The post was from Tim N8NET.  I guess I recognize the user names, being a moderator and all.

      I can vouch for Tim and friends letting people break in.  And I have never heard any of them break any laws.

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012

        Hi Tim,

        I just saw you were an Extra.  When did that happen?????  Last time I talked to you I was bugging you to get your General.

        Congrats.

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012

          As a moderator of this group, I had to think a bit about the subject of 146.520.

          Since this discussion could get heated, one part of me really wants to avoid that, as discourse among members can often get out of hand.

          However, the cat has been let out of the bag.  So, please, as with any discussion here, keep it civil.

          We have something like 150 members here.  There are going to be people that are going to disagree.  It is possible disagree without getting nasty about it.

          So please, people, no name calling, or insults.

          The 146.520 debate is not just a local one.  I run across it on QRZ from time to time and the 'complaints' are pretty much the same.

          As far as the FCC is concerned, there is no such thing as a calling frequency for ham radio on any band.

          So, this is an unwritten rule.  Even so, what is the purpose of a calling frequency?  To make a contact.  If the people chatting on '52 readily give up the frequency, how do they impede the process of making a contact?  In actuality, they may even be able to assist people in their attempts to make contacts.  Especially from a mobile radio.

          Things were different when the concept of a calling frequency was considered.  Radios were far from frequency agile.  In the crystal days, you were limited to a few 'channels'.  So, hams decided that all should have one in common, and some 'rule's for using the special 'channel' were put forth and all was well.

          We no longer have such constraints and as such may want to reconsider how 'calling frequencies' are used and be prepared to accept something that differs from tradition.

          [Mark]

          On 12/29/2012 2:18 PM, TM wrote:

          > People who think this is a problem you are wrong!!!
          > If someone driving through an area where people are using
          > 146.520 and needed instructions or help, and you want these
          > people to vacate the frequency, hmmmm.

        • TM
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
            Well I made General at the Holland Club old location at the house and then I heard an old Friend was  giving
            an Extra Class at the Red Cross here in GR and figure , why not.   So last spring was the class in GR for EXTRA
            and the previous Spring was the General which I helped a friend out and gave a ride too.
            My apologize to the other fella for not signing my post, sometimes we forget these things when normally
            you just view others notices and ideas here...

            (Thank you Holland Club and Tom KT8B)

            Tim N8NET

        • Tom KD8DEG
          Message 5 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012

            Thank You Mark!!!!

            I truly was hopping you would put it to rest. This rear's it's ugly head from time to time. As many have stated the repeaters are dead 85% of the time, and some even more. When I do listen on 52 it is about the same, and while traveling, good luck in finding anyone on 52. When someone does break-in on one of those long winded converastions on 52, they have always let them break in. Listen on 52 during a VHF contest weekend and see how busy it isn't.

            Attetudes always get out of hand when someone gets pissy about the use, this happens alot on the HF bands as well, and starts saying, this frequency is for such and such use "ONLY", and then it's; Here we go again. Be happy for any use, before big brother, FCC, starts taking frequency spectrum away for lack of use, or change us to secondary users, as they have done before.

            73's

            KD8DEG  Tom

            Message 6 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012

              Did you just call Tom old?

              :)

              Again, congrats on the upgrade.

              People who think this is a problem you are wrong!!!
              If someone driving through an area where people are using
              146.520 and needed instructions or help, and you want these
              people to vacate the frequency, hmmmm.  Are you going to
              guarantee that you can put volunteers in place 24/7 to
              monitor like it was a REACT frequency?  I wonder of your
              capabilities as more people use cell phones and less are using
              the ham bands in VHF and UHF.   I had a friend call me on my
              repeater and said he tried calling for someone on all the
              repeaters and simplex frequencies in GR and found no one
              but me during what we once called Drive Time.
               So lets drop this line hash that keeps coming up
              as the people Joe mentions, in GR the folks would be glad to
              leave the frequency for a directed net or when the bands open up.
              And I totally disagree with Joe
              as it being bad Amateur Practice and the Calling frequency is
              only a recommendation by a Texas club originally and adopted
              by the ARRL.  I know a lot of people who do not belong to
              either of these organizations.  Well don't flame me for my
              comments as I am just pointing out my facts as I see it.
              Also last point I have driven all across the US and have heard
              people talking on 520 Just like GR and Flint do as example.
              I think this is just a personal idea that one wants and why we
              comment every once here to stir the pot, so to say....

              On 12/28/2012 11:47 PM, Richards wrote:

              Exactly as you say.

              -------------------- JR ---------------------------------

              On 12/28/2012 11:28 PM, wd8usa@... wrote:

              > We have has a problem here in the Grand Rapids area for years- A few
              > base stations use 146.52 for general chit chat and tie the freq up
              > forcing many to lock 652 out of our scan list!
              > It is not illegal of course in any sense of the law but not good Amateur
              > Radio practice but this is just my opinion only!
              > For all the wide open spaces for simplex on 2 is available, They sit
              > right there and don't move off to another freq and leave 652 clear for
              > general monitoring.
              > OH well, So be it- It is what it is- DE WD8USA ...-.-

            • TM
              Message 7 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                Well I am old too.....
                Tim N8NET

                On 12/30/2012 12:31 PM, Mark wrote:

                Did you just call Tom old?

                :)

                Again, congrats on the upgrade.

                People who think this is a problem you are wrong!!!
                If someone driving through an area where people are using
                146.520 and needed instructions or help, and you want these
                people to vacate the frequency, hmmmm.  Are you going to
                guarantee that you can put volunteers in place 24/7 to
                monitor like it was a REACT frequency?  I wonder of your
                capabilities as more people use cell phones and less are using
                the ham bands in VHF and UHF.   I had a friend call me on my
                repeater and said he tried calling for someone on all the
                repeaters and simplex frequencies in GR and found no one
                but me during what we once called Drive Time.
                 So lets drop this line hash that keeps coming up
                as the people Joe mentions, in GR the folks would be glad to
                leave the frequency for a directed net or when the bands open up.
                And I totally disagree with Joe
                as it being bad Amateur Practice and the Calling frequency is
                only a recommendation by a Texas club originally and adopted
                by the ARRL.  I know a lot of people who do not belong to
                either of these organizations.  Well don't flame me for my
                comments as I am just pointing out my facts as I see it.
                Also last point I have driven all across the US and have heard
                people talking on 520 Just like GR and Flint do as example.
                I think this is just a personal idea that one wants and why we
                comment every once here to stir the pot, so to say....

                On 12/28/2012 11:47 PM, Richards wrote:

                Exactly as you say.

                -------------------- JR ---------------------------------

                On 12/28/2012 11:28 PM, wd8usa@... wrote:

                > We have has a problem here in the Grand Rapids area for years- A few
                > base stations use 146.52 for general chit chat and tie the freq up
                > forcing many to lock 652 out of our scan list!
                > It is not illegal of course in any sense of the law but not good Amateur
                > Radio practice but this is just my opinion only!
                > For all the wide open spaces for simplex on 2 is available, They sit
                > right there and don't move off to another freq and leave 652 clear for
                > general monitoring.
                > OH well, So be it- It is what it is- DE WD8USA ...-.-

              • a_snapper
                Message 8 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Here is some background on the net.

                  This event was constructed to generate thought about the day that you became aware there was a disaster, and were unable to communicate via normal means.

                  I.E. when you emerged from a shelter and realized communications infrastructure (including ham) was disabled, and government agencies were rendered ineffective.

                  Recent examples are Hurricane Katrina, and the Indonesian tsunami.

                  West Michigan is relatively disaster-benign, but you never know.

                  Some situations so dire, that amateur communications could have more value than merely a supplement to the ARES/RACES disaster response responsibilities. (i.e.damage assessment, ARC support)

                  At this point, the radio operator could become a unique, autonomous communicator. Establishing a communications circuit,(2 or more hams) would benefit both the individuals and the community.

                  Our plans for such a worse case scenario are in my opinion - weak. It seems to me that our network needs to be operational at the local level before we focus attention on restoring regional communications.

                  An exception to this might be when calling in mutual aid resources. Of course, then the question becomes, where to put them.

                  Since amateur radio is interoperable by nature, we are given an advantage over other communication services.

                  When communications infrastructure is down, and lacking other plans, it logically follows to use a simplex calling frequency. Thus the use of .52 simplex for this net.

                  An invitation was sent to over 500 amateur radio operators, and I was careful to extend it to all hams, not just ARES/RACES people.

                  Thanks and 73,
                  Art Snapper NK8X
                  Message 9 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                    Yeah !! Congratulations on making EXTRA !!!

                    --------------------- K8JHR -------------------------

                    _______________________________________
                    Message 10 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                      On 12/30/2012 10:56 AM, Mark wrote:

                      > If the people chatting on '52 readily give up the
                      > frequency, how do they impede the process of making a contact? In
                      > actuality, they may even be able to assist people in their attempts to
                      > make contacts.?

                      Since you ask...

                      Because others want to monitor the calling
                      frequency on their radios, and make contact
                      when someone else calls in. But if two or three
                      fellers monopolize the frequency for a 3 hour
                      rag chew, other operators have to lock that
                      frequency out and stop scanning it, or else their
                      scanners would stick on that one frequency and
                      play the three hour rag chew - it won't scan if
                      there is a signal, and if they talk for 3 hours that
                      is all I would ever hear, and my rig won't scan any
                      other channel until they stop. Totally defeats
                      my ability to listen for OTHER operators, such as
                      those who might be cruising through town and
                      look for a brief conversation or for directions to
                      find gas, a restaurant, or the like. I have simply
                      had to lock out the calling frequency and no longer
                      monitor it - because they will tie up my rig for
                      hours every day with pretty much the same
                      old schtick - which they are entitled to talk about,
                      but I cannot make contact with anyone else
                      who might cruise through town until they get off.

                      I know many hams who have simply given up
                      monitoring the calling frequency, because it
                      does not work as it could.

                      This is a hot topic, so I don't wanna do any
                      more than answer your question as to how it
                      matters to other operators. Not illegal... just
                      defeats the calling frequency idea.

                      Sorry, Tom... I live by the highway and when I
                      got into ham radio, I was sorta looking forward to
                      talking to people on the radio, but have had to
                      give up on the calling freq concept. Since everybody
                      wants to be PC and not rock the boat, it just goes
                      on as you say.

                      ---------------------------- K8JHR --------------------
                      Message 11 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                        OK... we all know Tim is a stand up guy and not the
                        type to snipe or hide who he is. Thanks for the clarification.

                        -------------------------- JHR -----------------------

                        _____________________________________
                        Message 12 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                          This raises interesting and important questions, Art.

                          I wonder how it would actually play out, if there really
                          is such a wide reaching, large scale disaster, and every
                          ham in town wanted to get on the air for all the various
                          reasons they would have to do so.

                          Personally, I envision chaos would be a good result, but
                          I fear it could be far worse without some coordination and
                          a lot of patient courtesy among the entire flock.

                          But that is the point - it would be helpful to find out
                          before a disaster occurs what might go down, and see
                          whether or not there is a workable plan for avoiding
                          chaos and rendering it useful.

                          I agree the plan to include all hams was a good idea.

                          I suspect it might have been more useful, and more
                          widely "attended" had it been explained more fully,
                          and announced more in advance. Nevertheless, it
                          raises important questions, and serves as a starting
                          point for further work.

                          Happy trails.

                          -------------------- K8JHR ----------------------------

                        • wd8usa@aol.com
                          Message 13 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                            Very thoughtful insights Mr. Snapper- Well spoken!  All look, Read and learn!! Good stuff! DE WD8USA   ...-.-

                            Message 14 of 30 , Dec 30, 2012
                              If the "calling Freq" is tied up with local chit chat you decrease your chances of a contact when needed as those that tie up that "call Freq" will be the only ones listening-
                               A call freq is just that call, and move off!
                              DE WD8USA   ...-.-

                              Message 15 of 30 , Dec 31, 2012

                                Hi Jim,

                                Thanks for the reply.  I can see both sides of the issue, I think.  So here are some questions:

                                "Totally defeats
                                my ability to listen for OTHER operators, such as
                                those who might be cruising through town and
                                look for a brief conversation or for directions to
                                find gas, a restaurant, or the like."

                                The conversational users of the '52 can't give directions and/or other local information?  I am pretty sure that someone cruising through town looking for a brief conversation would get their wish, as well.  So, it's your ability to listen, not your ability to make a call that is 'defeated', correct?

                                "But if two or three
                                fellers monopolize the frequency for a 3 hour
                                rag chew, other operators have to lock that
                                frequency out and stop scanning it, or else their
                                scanners would stick on that one frequency and
                                play the three hour rag chew - it won't scan if
                                there is a signal, and if they talk for 3 hours that
                                is all I would ever hear, and my rig won't scan any
                                other channel until they stop."

                                Does your rig not change channels because the '52 ops aren't allowing a second or two between exchanges, or is it because your scanning feature is set to delay?  Or just delays and has no 'instantaneous' feature?  Some radios also have features for a time limit, like 2 seconds for stopping on scan.

                                "which they are entitled to talk about,
                                but I cannot make contact with anyone else
                                who might cruise through town until they get off."

                                So, why can't you break in and make a contact?

                                "I know many hams who have simply given up
                                monitoring the calling frequency, because it
                                does not work as it could."

                                Truthfully, what do you think makes the most people not monitor '52, a few guys chatting for 3 out of 24 hours, or no traffic at all, for days, weeks and even months on end?

                                "This is a hot topic, so I don't wanna do any
                                more than answer your question as to how it
                                matters to other operators. Not illegal... just
                                defeats the calling frequency idea."

                                It is also a topic in which rational discussion may lead to some long term improvements.  Did you know that when calling frequencies were first contrived, it was standard practice to stay there and have conversations?  This was prior to the VFO days.  It wasn't until maybe 20 years ago that someone, the ARRL perhaps, came up with the idea that once the contact was made to clear the frequency.  That practice was swiped from the marine radio service, Ch. 16 VHF.

                                Learning a little about the history of calling frequencies shows that the way they have been used throughout history has changed.  Maybe it's time to once again reconsider the methodology behind the use of  '52.

                                "Sorry, Tom... I live by the highway and when I
                                got into ham radio, I was sorta looking forward to
                                talking to people on the radio, but have had to
                                give up on the calling freq concept. Since everybody
                                wants to be PC and not rock the boat, it just goes
                                on as you say."

                                Why does the boat have to be rocked?  Is it all that tough to discuss uses and possible changes of a single frequency without getting emotional about it?  As for talking to people, aren't the number of people on '52 simplex a minutia compared to the number of folks on the repeaters, especially the linked system?

                                To be honest, and Tim N8NET can vouch for this, I was first totally against rag chewing on '52.   So I decided to check the 'culprits' out.

                                1)  Would they let me break in with no problem?   --  Yep.

                                2)  Would they stop chatting long enough for me to make a call?  -- Yep.

                                3)  Would they let me join the QSO?  -- Yep.

                                4)  Would any one of them QSY with me because I didn't want to tie up the '52 -- Yep.

                                Hmmm.....they aren't breaking any rules, they all seemed to be accommodating and polite. So I reconsidered.  I also found out that this issue is going on all over the US, and not just on 2 meters.  People are actually rag chewing on the 6 m SSB calling frequency, too.

                                 I also found out that one of Rileys career highlights was erroneously citing some hams for rag chewing on the '52.  Riley was big time wrong and had to rescind the citations.

                                I guess that's part of the calling frequency history, too.

                                PS  I think I may change my QRZ signature to '146.52?  Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded'.

                                :)

                                Message 16 of 30 , Dec 31, 2012
                                  > The conversational users of the '52 can't give directions and/or other
                                  > local information?

                                  Sure... but that cuts me and everybody
                                  else out. They continue to monopolize
                                  the channel.

                                  > it's your ability to listen, not your ability to make a call that is
                                  > 'defeated', correct?

                                  Both... but you are getting it.

                                  > Does your rig not change channels because the '52 ops aren't allowing a
                                  > second or two between exchanges, or is it because your scanning feature
                                  > is set to delay? Or just delays and has no 'instantaneous' feature?
                                  > Some radios also have features for a time limit, like 2 seconds for
                                  > stopping on scan.

                                  Good questions. Let's put it into perspective
                                  with an example - the guys on 53 pause a bit
                                  to catch their breath, as is usual in any conversation,
                                  so the rig releases the channel and scans. Then
                                  it scans for another busy channel.

                                  Finding none busy, it catches 52 when they start
                                  up again - and instead of my listening for a contact,
                                  I end up listening to them rag chew.

                                  Or, let's assume the rig finds another busy channel,
                                  say, the Lowell repeater, then it holds that until
                                  they take a break, and then the guys on 52 catch
                                  the attention of the scanner, and we are back to
                                  them until they catch their breath again.

                                  But... in any case, all the while 52 continues their
                                  local rag chew session, I cannot monitor 52 and
                                  make my own contacts. If a traveler does cut
                                  into their conversation, THEY get the contact
                                  and handle the questions... in any case, they
                                  cut me out.

                                  But wait... there's more:

                                  Meanwhile, nobody can call ME on 52 and ask
                                  ME to QSY to a simplex channel. I cannot call
                                  YOU to make contact, and QSY with you to another
                                  channel. I cannot call you - even if I interrupt
                                  them - because you and the rest of the ham
                                  community quit monitoring the channel long ago.

                                  I should not have to beg permission from the
                                  other guys to use 52 to make a new contact.
                                  The whole idea is that it is always open for that
                                  sort of thing. But you cannot call me on 52, either,
                                  because I blocked that frequency on the scanner
                                  so I don't have to listen to their rag chew session
                                  every afternoon.

                                  And this actually matters, because none of my
                                  ham friends monitor 52 any more - because they
                                  don't want to listen to those guys every day, hoping
                                  somebody else will cut in - but, again, if they are on
                                  they will deal with the new contact, I will have to
                                  barge in and steal the contact to get involved, and
                                  nobody is going to work that hard.

                                  Unfortunately, it seems this way in a lot of places
                                  across the country, so many traveling hams don't
                                  even try 52 any more. But, maybe they would if
                                  it worked the way it might.

                                  > So, why can't you break in and make a contact?

                                  Because I should not have to. It is supposed
                                  to be open so anyone can call and make
                                  contact and then leave it open to the
                                  rest of the community to do so.

                                  Besides, none of my friends monitor 52 any
                                  more, so they are not listening for me to
                                  call them there. They don't wanna listen to
                                  the rag chew guys all afternoon, either, so they
                                  simply don't monitor 52 any more... again,
                                  defeating the whole idea of an open calling
                                  frequency for everybody. That effectively
                                  converts it into their personal, private channel,
                                  and defeats the notion of an open, free for all
                                  calling frequency.

                                  > Truthfully, what do you think makes the most people not monitor '52, a
                                  > few guys chatting for 3 out of 24 hours, or no traffic at all, for days,
                                  > weeks and even months on end?

                                  Good question. I doubt we can say for sure
                                  either way, but I think it is most likely that
                                  there is no traffic on 52 because so many
                                  hams have killed it off in this manner. This
                                  has been discussed on many nationwide internet
                                  ham discussion groups, so it seems to be a problem
                                  in many places, and it is possible the majority of
                                  hams have has simply given up on 52 - so nobody
                                  uses it much in this way any more.

                                  That means a few has changed it for the many,
                                  and considering I am one of the many, I lament
                                  the loss of something good.

                                  > It is also a topic in which rational discussion may lead to some long
                                  > term improvements.

                                  Yes... so far it has been plenty civil here.

                                  It wasn't until maybe 20
                                  > years ago that someone, the ARRL perhaps, came up with the idea that
                                  > once the contact was made to clear the frequency. That practice was
                                  > swiped from the marine radio service, Ch. 16 VHF.
                                  > Learning a little about the history of calling frequencies shows that
                                  > the way they have been used throughout history has changed. Maybe it's
                                  > time to once again reconsider the methodology behind the use of '52.

                                  Perhaps you are right. Perhaps it is changing
                                  on its own, in an organic way, as opposed to
                                  any intentional plan promulgated from above.

                                  > Why does the boat have to be rocked? Is it all that tough to discuss
                                  > uses and possible changes of a single frequency without getting
                                  > emotional about it? As for talking to people, aren't the number of
                                  > people on '52 simplex a minutia compared to the number of folks on the
                                  > repeaters, especially the linked system?

                                  You may be right about the statistics.

                                  Unfortunately, no matter how civil and how
                                  rational the debate is HERE... and it has been,
                                  it is impossible to discuss the matter with the
                                  crowd on 52. They say it is "legal" and have
                                  no patience or interest in discussing the impact
                                  or significance of any general understandings,
                                  or gentlemens' agreements, and the conversation
                                  is over. I negotiated the resolution of hundreds
                                  of heated disputes, including a fair number of
                                  heated divorces, but diplomacy has not chance
                                  for success. I mentioned this to an ARRL Section
                                  Manager - and he told me to simply give up and
                                  let them go. It is this sort of "tolerance" that
                                  allows a minority to overtake the majority.

                                  > To be honest, and Tim N8NET can vouch for this, I was first totally
                                  > against rag chewing on '52. So I decided to check the 'culprits' out.

                                  > 1) Would they let me break in with no problem? -- Yep.
                                  > 2) Would they stop chatting long enough for me to make a call? -- Yep.
                                  > 3) Would they let me join the QSO? -- Yep.
                                  > 4) Would any one of them QSY with me because I didn't want to tie up
                                  > the '52 -- Yep.

                                  Yes... but they should do this as
                                  a matter of courtesy to others.

                                  > Hmmm.....they aren't breaking any rules, they all seemed to be
                                  > accommodating and polite. So I reconsidered. I also found out that this
                                  > issue is going on all over the US, and not just on 2 meters. People are
                                  > actually rag chewing on the 6 m SSB calling frequency, too.

                                  OK... then I suppose we will have to give up
                                  the whole notion of a calling frequency.

                                  While they might have yield easily... the
                                  whole point is that no one should have to
                                  ask for it.

                                  They don't violate any rules, per se... but they
                                  unilaterally void a useful common practice.

                                  We are now sliding down the old slippery slope.
                                  How far are you willing to go... should we also
                                  abandon the band plans ? After all, those are not
                                  mandated by the Rules, either. How many long
                                  established practices should yield to a few guys
                                  who don't wanna play ball? Should my friends
                                  and I set conduct our 6 hour nightly net on the
                                  MidCars frequency, or the one used by the ARRL
                                  for code practice bulletins? That would be legal,
                                  and not violate any rules. Should we move our
                                  SSB net into the CW portion of the band, because,
                                  after all, it gets kinda crowded in the phone
                                  portion of the band ? How many of the long
                                  established gentlemens' agreements are we
                                  willing to void in this way?

                                  > I also found out that one of Rileys career highlights was erroneously
                                  > citing some hams for rag chewing on the '52. Riley was big time wrong
                                  > and had to rescind the citations. I guess that's part of the calling frequency history, too.

                                  Yes. No doubt no one is operating illegally...
                                  just operating so as to defeat notion of a calling
                                  frequency. The fact they call it such gives it
                                  meaning. Otherwise it is just another simplex
                                  channel.

                                  Perhaps there are not enough hams willing
                                  to stand by the practice to support and
                                  maintain it. Like so many things in our
                                  socio-political environment, few are willing
                                  to stand up and speak out - they just go
                                  with the flow, and while that is their choice,
                                  it is not mine. Silly me... I speak my mind!
                                  ;-) The XYL thinks I will get shot for that
                                  someday ... ;-)

                                  GOOD QUESTIONS-- GOOD DISCUSSION HERE.

                                  I APPEARS I MAY BE OUT-VOTED ON THE ISSUE... ;-)

                                  HAPPY DAYS AND HAPPY HOLIDAY, MARK.

                                  ________________JHR___________________
                                • Mark
                                  Message 17 of 30 , Jan 1, 2013

                                    Happy New Year, Jim!

                                    Most advice about ham radio practice centers around the 'just spin the knob' paradigm.  Or, basically ignore it.

                                    The Internet allows us to do both, spin the knob when we don't like what is going on, and also voice our concerns to other hams off the air.

                                    There is a problem with that.  People get brave behind the keyboard and many of them simply toss etiquette out the window.  We have to remember to remain as emotionally neutral as possible, but still keep the opinion intact.

                                    Many times, it's not what people say, but how they say it.

                                    ----Break----

                                    Here is some more info on the '52.  First, you have to remember that I started looking for info on the '52 freq. to support a stance just like the one you have now.  Well, as you see, I haven't had much luck.   I just looked at a 1995 ARRL repeater directory.  144.200 is listed as the national calling frequency.  146.52 is listed simply as the "national simplex frequency".  The word 'calling' is not present.

                                    I don't know if the new versions are different.  If they are, then the change occurred sometime after 1995.  I found an old (2006) discussion on QRZ about it and from the banter there, the ARRL had already added the 'calling' thing at that point.  It is currently listed on arrl.org as 'national simplex calling frequency'.

                                    Now, I hate politics and I am not into ARRL bashing or anything of the like, so I tend to look at things mathematically.

                                    The ARRL consists of a very small minority of licensed operators and the upper echelon of that organization has already admitted they exist for self-preservation (and I understand this) and not necessarily to represent the entire membership, nor hams in general.  And realize, if they did not make self preservation a major concern, they would have been gone long ago.  It is a strategy that simply has to be.

                                    There are a large number of licensed, active hams that don't really agree with the ARRL and prefer to follow the FCC's rules instead.  Who are we to say that they can't or that following the ARRL's rules is a requirement for 'good operating practice'?

                                    Considering that the FCC indeed does require good operating practices (97.101), their opinion on the use of 146.52 must reflect that.   So....here it is:

                                    "NEWINGTON, CT, Oct 23, 2002--FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth has told five amateurs in Ohio and Michigan to disregard his earlier admonition to avoid lengthy QSOs on 146.52 MHz. Acknowledging that some confusion (sic!) exists within the amateur community as to whether 146.52 is a national calling channel or just another simplex frequency, Hollingsworth decided to simply rescind the five advisory notices he'd sent October 15.

                                    "We made an error in issuing that Advisory Notice, and you may disregard it," Hollingsworth wrote today in letters sent to each of the affected amateurs. Commenting to ARRL, Hollingsworth was blunt yet good-natured. "I goofed," he said. "If I were worried about making a fool of myself from time to time, I never would have become a lawyer in the first place." "

                                    I think this is a good place to pause.  :)

                                    Oh, my New Year's resolution is to get some antennas, especially my 2m/440 one outside.  Then I could actually listen to 146.52 and see (hear) what I am missing.

                                    Message 18 of 30 , Jan 1, 2013
                                      Good Post, Mark -- a lot of buckshot in that one little shell!

                                      Happy days.

                                    • Mark
                                      Message 19 of 30 , Jan 1, 2013

                                        Thanks Jim,

                                        Really, not much, if any of the info is mine, personally.  I found it on the 'Net and just passed it on in somewhat of a condensed version.