Help with Gonset Communicator?

  • NA8M
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2012
      My good friend, Doran, WA8EOW has an interesting question for you. Can you help him? You can give him a call, me an email, or reply to this message on this board.

      Please?

      Bill, NA8M

      I have the first radio the Fremont Airport ever had in my basement in pieces parts. I have a manual and can reassemble it ok. I am going to try and get the receiver to operate, haven't given it smoke test yet. The radio is a Gonset Communicator Airport Unicom model #3043. This radio is basically same as deluxe amateur model Communicator II, a 2 meter AM transmitter-receiver, except for frequency coverage and a spring loaded transmit receive switch. My problem is the lever type T/R switch knob is missing and so is the spring. The manual does not show a picture of the switch or spring and I don't know how to fix it, except if worst comes to worst, I'll hardwire it in receive position, can't legally transmit with it anyway. The radio belongs to the Terry Wantz Genealogy and History Center on Main St. in Fremont. I thought maybe you might know someone in Muskegon club or otherwise who might have a Gonset Communicator junker for parts or if someone had a good radio and wanted to part with it cheap enough I might buy one just for fun. Just a picture of the knob and switch and spring would help a lot. There is a small hole in front panel near the switch shaft, might be the end of the spring goes in that hole and spring is actually attached to the knob. Gonset made a ton of the Communicator radios, a lot of them went to Civil Defense units during the Cold-War era, 1950's and 1960's. Had CD emblems on them and were painted yellow. Hams had a ton of them, too. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill My phone # is 231-834-5218 which is local call for Muskegon phones or email is ok. 73, Doran