Re: [WestMichiganHams] Triangular Recesssed Panhead screwdriver

  • kc8pcj
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
      Does it look like this?

      Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:41 PM
      Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Triangular Recesssed Panhead screwdriver

      Not exactly ham radio related, but I have an electronics gadget which is put together with what my local Ace Hardware describes as "Triangular Recessed Panhead" screws.

      I've never seen one of them before this.  Neither Ace nor its outside supplier has a tool to remove such screws.  The people at Ace said screws like this are used for security.

      But, I'd like to see what's inside a defective control box.

      Anyone know where I might find a screwdriver or something which fits in my drill which could extract something like this.  The screws have a triangular depression in the had, not quite equilateral (at least as measured by eye.)

      Private responses seem appropriate.

      72/73 de n8xx Hg
      QRP

      >99.44% of the time

    • Alan Beagley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
        On 12/04/12 05:41 pm, Hank Greeb wrote:
        > Not exactly ham radio related, but I have an electronics gadget which is put
        > together with what my local Ace Hardware describes as "Triangular Recessed
        > Panhead" screws.
        >
        > I've never seen one of them before this. Neither Ace nor its outside supplier
        > has a tool to remove such screws. The people at Ace said screws like this are
        > used for security.
        >
        > But, I'd like to see what's inside a defective control box.
        >
        > Anyone know where I might find a screwdriver or something which fits in my drill
        > which could extract something like this. The screws have a triangular depression
        > in the had, not quite equilateral (at least as measured by eye.)

        I think you may find what you need in a set of assorted "security bits"
        such as are sold at Lowe's, Menards, HD or Hazard Fraught (aka Harbor
        Freight).

        73

        Alan NV8A
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
          EBAY is your friend. Buy one of those $10 - 35 bit security
          driver kits. I used mine today to retrieve a CD from a CD
          changer that refused to give it up.

          Good investment.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
            There or Ebay... OR HANK... SEND ME A PHOTO OF THE SCREW
            HEAD AND I WILL COMPARE IT TO MY SET AND YOU CAN BORROW
            MINE IF IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE IT - SEE YOU AT LUNCH FRIDAY -
            BRING IT ALONG AND WE CAN OPEN IT UP AT LUNCH !

            OR NOT.