ARES of Ottawa County

  • Don Meyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2012
      Amateur Radio Emergency Services® of Ottawa County, Michigan
      The ARRL has been involved in organizing amateur radio operators longer then any of our volunteers.  This is the reason that with the ending of OCEC we are running the new organization of amateur radio operators under the ARRL rules. In  am  not going to print them here you can to this website to get them:

      Search ARRL when on the site there is a search box in the upper right corner of the page enter in there ARES and it will bring up all the information along with the form to fill out to apply.

      The application form needs to be filled out as OCEC was not an ARES group and there is no obligation for them records to be forwarded to the new organization. If there is someone that has this information and would share it with the ARESOC that would help, but I would still like to have it all up dated. Please download the from fill it out and bring it to the next club meeting with you or mail it to me at Donald Meyer 14756 Lori LN , Spring Lake, MI 49456 . Make sure your call sign is on everything you submit to ARESOC.

      I will be at the Holland Club meeting and the Grand Haven Club meeting this month if you want to save the stamp.

      Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)
      The Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES) consists of licensed amateurs who have voluntarily registered their qualifications and equipment, with their local ARES leadership, for communications duty in the public service when disaster strikes.
      ARES Membership Requirements

      Every licensed amateur, regardless of membership in ARRL or any other local or national organization is eligible to apply for membership in ARES. Training may be required or desired to participate fully in ARES. Please inquire at the local level for specific information. Because ARES is an Amateur Radio program, only licensed radio amateurs are eligible for membership. The possession of emergency-powered equipment is desirable, but is not a requirement for membership.

      How to Get Involved in ARES

      Print out  the form from the ARRL website  and submit it to your local Emergency Coordinator

      EC is in charge of all ARES activities in his area, not just one interest group, one agency, one club or one band. The EC is simply the leader, or, as the title
      indicates, the coordinator. We have a good group of hams in Ottawa County and I think we can make this work.

      Assistant Emergency Coordinators, designated by the EC to supervise activities of groups or in our case areas of the county.

      Setting the county into four general areas I see the need for four AEC’s which in the northwest area of the county would be associated with the NOARC this position has been filled by John Fischer, in the southwest area of the county would be associated with the HARC this position has not been filled but I do have interested hams, in the southwest area I hope to find someone associated with the Hudsonville area hams, and with the northeast area I hope to find someone with the Coopersville area hams. If the group being formed under the Ottawa County Sheriff Emergency Service Dept finds it to be a benefit to be part of ARESO that would be a fifth AEC position. The EC position is to coordinator not run events that ARESOC take part in I will look to the AEC’s to step forward to make sure events go as needed, I will support them any way I can.

      Needed is someone or a team of someone that would be interested in keeping records for the ARESOC this maybe a ham that because of there position in life it is the only way they can contribute as a ham to the group.

      There are other position’s that will need to be filled these are the ones we need to get started with if you are willing to volunteer in any of these positions put a note on your application to be considered.

      If you have questions for me I will be at the Holland Club meeting Monday night but I understand I have a limited time during the meeting so if you can send me an email I will try to have an answer for you at the meeting or send you an email back.
      My information: Donald Meyer - KB8ODB
      Email: kb8odb@...
      ARESOC Email: amateur_radio@...
      Snail Mail: Donald Meyer 14756 Lori LN Spring Lake, MI 49456
      Cell Phone: 231-206-9270

      Please feel free to repost to reflectors as needed

      Donald Meyer - KB8ODB

      Assistant Coordinator of volunteers of  North Ottawa Amateur Radio Club Working with Public Safety to make a safer community in the Ferrysburg, Grand Haven and Spring Lake Area

      EOC Assistant Amateur Radio in Ottawa County

      e-mail:kb8odb@...