Amateur Radio Continuing Education - Muskegon

  • Tom Porritt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13 9:52 AM
      All,
      Saturday, July 14th at the Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council clubhouse, 2888 Scenic Drive, with another in the series of Amateur Radio Continuing Education. The topic will be "Measuring Instruments, Safety and Use" with Mark, K8MHZ. The 3 hour presentation will begin at 9AM. Our last presentation of this topic held everyone's attention through-out and was very informative and useful. Do you know that some multi-meters can be unsafe? Learn about this and more.
      Tom, K8EOD

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13 11:46 AM
        Also, I will be going over SWR meters.

        What is an SWR meter and what does it actually measure?   Ask 10 hams what the ratio in standing wave ratio is 'of' (for instance a group of two dogs and one sheep would be a ratio of 2:1) and see how many different answers you will get.

        As an instructor, I encourage students to ask questions.  A very short time ago if any of you asked me what, EXACTLY what the ratio was of, I would not have been able to tell you.  I will tell you that it is NOT the ratio of forward to reflected power.  Here is an example.  If you have 2 watts forward and 1 gets reflected, the SWR is not 2:1.  It is actually 3:1.  So, it's 3 of WHAT to 1 of WHAT?

        I'm also going to cover some of the inglorious history of test equipment, some of which may shock you.  I know it certainly did shock the operators of the standard equipment of one time frame in our past.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13 12:10 PM
          Here is another teaser:

          What is a standing wave and how does it differ from just your basic everyday run of the mill wave?  Can you give me real life, non radio examples of both standing waves and regular waves and explain the difference betwixt the two?

          Come to tomorrow's class and you will you will be able to do just that.  If you pay attention, that is....

          :)