Antenna Video not for the height challenged

  • wingerham
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16 6:55 AM
      I remember Tom Bosscher, K8TB, telling me that it costs $8,000 to change the light bulb on top of a tower. This was a few years back, so it may be more now. After watching this video, my response would be, "So, what's the problem with the cost?"

      My hands are still sweating after watching this.

      THIS IS INCREDIBLE.
      1768 feet straight up ... wait until you see this!
      It is incredible what people do for a living!!!!!!!!!!
      Just wait for the cartoon intro to finish, then hold on to your seat.

      www.liveleak.com/e/07b_1284580365

      Ross
      N8GMY
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16 7:12 AM
        Yeah.... scary and amazing. You won't find me up there....

        ------------------------- JHR --------------------------

        On 2/16/2012 9:55 AM, wingerham wrote:

        > THIS IS INCREDIBLE.
        > 1768 feet straight up ... wait until you see this!
        > It is incredible what people do for a living!!!!!!!!!!
        > Just wait for the cartoon intro to finish, then hold on to your seat.

        ss ...
      • timothy courtier
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16 7:43 PM
          "WOW"

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17 7:34 AM

            That video has been around a while.

            The guy that was climbing wasn't the one that posted the video on the Internet, one of his friends did.  The video shows that some safety rules were broken (which a casual viewer wouldn't catch) and the climber got in trouble for it, I think he may have even lost his job over it.

            The video was originally posted on YouTube, but was pulled when the climber's employer found out about it and made a stink.  Before it was pulled, it went viral.  If you Google the subject, you will find that many sites that posted the video have had it pulled.

            The issue is 'free-climbing', or climbing without being tied off.  OSHA doesn't allow it, but tower climbers do it all the time, especially if they are getting paid for the climb, and not by the hour.  As such, posting a video of a climber doing it to that extreme would certainly get OSHA's attention, and it wouldn't be that tough to find out the name of the company that contracted the work.